Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
profile.country.US.title
fpcatcherdad

No auto update.  You will see a ribbon at the bottom of the app asking you if you want to update.  Just ignore it.

profile.country.DE.title
Janlehmann12
Explorer

Same v4.1.1 NC Issue here and in the German Sony Forum. After Update I can hear every Speaking Person from Tablet or near Persons.

Before the Update with v2.0.0 this was not hearable.

If there is no Firmware Upgrade or Downgrade Solution this will be my last Sony Product i will buy. There are enough similar Products with better Customer Service and Support.

Also my buying decision for an newest OLED TV has been changed to another Vendor in the middle of this year. 

When there will be an solution downgrade is also ok nobody really needs Alexa and Google Assistant when NC Quality is barely reduced!!!!! 

profile.country.DE.title
Gijsphdb

Hear hear!!

Fully agree. Last product I bought from Sony.

profile.country.NO.title
FrancisRoss

I returned my set under warranty to Elkjop, the largest consumer electronics retailer in Norway. The employees had received an SMS with instructions saying not to accept returns on this upgrade issue, and to inform the customers about the usual nonsense regarding user error operating the app, and the reset procedures. As I insisted on returning the set, the clerk told me "OK, we return it to Sony, and in three to five weeks time you will get it back with a statment saying no errors found". So that's what probably will happen. I included a note saying I wanted the set returned to its original firmware v2.0, but I don't know if they will consider doing so.

Last Sony product ever, that's for sure.

profile.country.GB.title
jurachim
Explorer

Thankfully I received my headphones with v2.0 firmware, so I guess I don't have these problems.

But looking at this thread and Sony support responses - I will think twice before buying any Sony products and for sure will consider buying other companies products first. Thsi is simply unacceptable.

profile.country.US.title
wizll-
Explorer

@FrancisRoss wrote:

I returned my set under warranty to Elkjop, the largest consumer electronics retailer in Norway. The employees had received an SMS with instructions saying not to accept returns on this upgrade issue, and to inform the customers about the usual nonsense regarding user error operating the app, and the reset procedures. As I insisted on returning the set, the clerk told me "OK, we return it to Sony, and in three to five weeks time you will get it back with a statment saying no errors found". So that's what probably will happen. I included a note saying I wanted the set returned to its original firmware v2.0, but I don't know if they will consider doing so.

Last Sony product ever, that's for sure.

this was my first Sony product since like 2002 when I had a product of theirs that ended up failing in some fashion that resulted in customer support similar to this. fortunately, I saw this post and canceled the firmware upgrade in time, but having followed this post to see what Sony is doing about it, and not seeing much traction and lack of acknowledgment reminds me of why I dispised Sony over 15 years ago. this will likely again be the last Sony product I buy again. when this thing breaks either a bose or in a few years ms surface headphone would be caught up.

again I thank the users of this forum to at least have highlighted this issue and given me a choice whether I upgraded or not. they seriously should give everyone the choice to roll back firmware of their headphones... 

profile.country.GB.title
janush_

I also returned them under warranty in Switzerland (Interdiscount) on last
Friday. They told me that I probably should get new one in one week. We
will see. I will inform you guys.
profile.country.GB.title
Davidmcd53
Explorer

l have exactly the same problem, I’m on to my second pair. The first set developed a his in the left ear cup so I exchanged them. The new pair were excellent until the update and now they are hissing in both ears. In a quiet room it’s better with N/C turned off. I’m now thinking Bose. 

profile.country.US.title
ricklen

Bought them last week, updated yesterday didn't know about this issue... woops.. Mine has the same problem, ANC is worse now.

profile.country.EE.title
ChrisChr
Explorer

Dear forum users. I have not bought the xm3 headphone yet. But I want to share with you an idea to see if this can help you. I was thinking that maybe the problem is not in the headphone, but in the app that is responsible for doing firmware update. The majority of the complaints have to do with the fact that after the firmware update the ANC allows noises to pass, especially voices. This behavior is similar to the Adaptive sound with voices option activated. This seemed very strange to me. One possibility is that in some devices after the update, the app leaves some internal parameter badly recorded inside itself and transmits erroneously to the headphone that must activate the adaptive sound with voices instead of the full ANC. The headphone therefore believes that the user is the one who wants to hear his surroundings and the voices. In this case, the app would send the order to the headphone. This would explain why not all users experience this failure, since this error would depend on whether the app was internally with the correct parameters after the firmware update. And it would also explain why Sony people check the headphone after the update and say that the firmware works ok. Because everyone looks for the problem in the headphone and not in the app that sends the configuration to the headphone. I am aware that this does not provide a solution, but maybe it gives an idea to the people of Sony support. On the other hand I do not know if you have already tried, but what happens if you turn off the headphone, uninstall the Sony app, do a phone reset, then download the app and add the headphone from scratch in the app. Has anyone tried this?
It's just an idea but I wanted to share it with forum users.
Greetings.