Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

@janush_ wrote:

@GapsOfTheGod do you have a possibility to give them back to the shop or will you use the official sony warranty? Please let me know because I have no possibility to return them to the shop...

Back to the shop. Bought them in December, so well within my rights to do so.

profile.country.GB.title
janush_

@GapsOfTheGod do you really have so much time to give the headphones back? Where do you bought them? I can't do this but I think I will send them to Sony under warranty. I cmhave no more options... Has someone try this option? Sony support from Poland told me to send them to Sony and they will replace the chipset with old software because there is on other option to change it. I have to try because they are ***** to me right now 

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

@janush_ wrote:

@GapsOfTheGod do you really have so much time to give the headphones back? Where do you bought them? I can't do this but I think I will send them to Sony under warranty. I cmhave no more options... Has someone try this option? Sony support from Poland told me to send them to Sony and they will replace the chipset with old software because there is on other option to change it. I have to try because they are ***** to me right now 

The headphones are no longer for for purpose, whether faulty or unintentionally impacted due to the v4. 1.1 update.

UK consumer law would permit me to return them within 12 months, and as it's the first 6 months of ownership, it's Sony's duty to prove they're not faulty/working as they were when purchased.

I bought them from Sony Centre Carliale.

profile.country.EE.title
ChrisChr
Explorer

Thanks to Vanilla and the rest of the users that agree with my proposal. Vanilla, it would be excellent if you could send my message with the proposal to the Sony Support team. I hope that we are lucky.

profile.country.GB.title
D_dato
Explorer

Dear Sony User Support,

You have tricked me again.

First with the PS3 update where I lost the ability to run Linux. Yes, there was a class-action lawsuite to get at least some satifaction of misleading advertising, but available only to US customers.

Now I got tricked by You for the second time - with your v4.1.1 firmware update.

No, I'm not a member of some mass hysteria group that has nothing else to do than to whine about nothing. I did notice worsening Noice Cancelling bahaviour after the upgrade.

My 30 days for Amazon product return are ending. I can't and won't wait any longer so today have requested a return (Customer Return DCkJ85***RMA).

Am taking my money elsewhere since you Sony seem not to care.

Regards.

profile.country.IT.title
luigilauro
Explorer

Unbelievable that we did not get any feedback, news, or fix.

I think even a downgrade option to firmware 2.0.0 would be enough at this point.

Just to get back what we paid for.

I have bought my 1000xm3 to replace my first gen 1000x, and paradoxically on voices and some frequencies my new shiny 1000xm3 are blocking less noise than my old 1000x. 380€ down the drain.

Will we get a refund or fix?

profile.country.GB.title
jurachim
Explorer

I just ordered XM3 yesterday and now found out about this issue. How do I check the firmware version?

If it is 4.1.1 then I'm returning them right away and buying QC35 II instead.

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

@jurachim wrote:

I just ordered XM3 yesterday and now found out about this issue. How do I check the firmware version?

If it is 4.1.1 then I'm returning them right away and buying QC35 II instead.

I believe they still all come with v2.0.0 firmware installed. You can check easily in the app though once your phone's connected to the XM3's.

profile.country.GB.title
jurachim
Explorer

So basically if I install the app and see that they are on v2.0.0 - I just shouldn't install updates and I will be fine? There are no auto-updates that will mess them up?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

@jurachim wrote:

So basically if I install the app and see that they are on v2.0.0 - I just shouldn't install updates and I will be fine? There are no auto-updates that will mess them up?

Correct!