Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
profile.country.GB.title
vikto000
Explorer

The bottom right corner.

profile.country.DE.title
Gijsphdb

4-738-415-13

But I don't believe that is the serialnumber. For I have bought two WH-1000XM3 and on both boxes the number is the same.

profile.country.NO.title
FrancisRoss

That's right, I found the instructions and this is the location for the serial number:

serial number.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi simonweppe,

Based on the reply most of the users received from Sony, I'd say it's better to send your pair to Sony engineers so they can check what seems to be the problem and resolve this for you. 

Vanilla_

profile.country.EE.title
ChrisChr
Explorer

Dear Sony User Support.

When a problem is reported by so many people who love the product I think that answering that the problem does not exist and giving only reset or setting instructions does not really help.

It is possible that not all users with firmware 4.1.1 experience the problem. And it is also possible that this is a consequence of factors that are difficult to determine, such as a failure during the update process, internet issues during the update, etc. Therefore, not being an error that occurs in one hundred percent of cases, it is possible that Sony technicians believe that the problem does not exist.

But if you read carefully the comments of the forum and other Internet sites, it is very clear that it is a problem that affects many users and that these users love the product and the brand.

I respectfully suggest that Sony enable an option to downgrade previous versions of firmware. It is an effective solution and that they can possibly implement quickly. Users should not be left stranded if an update has problems during installation or if it does not meet the expectations of some users. And in this way, Sony would show a strong commitment to its users that we would all appreciate.

Best.

profile.country.DE.title
Gijsphdb

I fully agree with the author above !

SONY please help!

profile.country.GB.title
Paprikaa

Same for me.
H E L P
profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hello ChrisChr,

I see where you're coming from. I'll see if I can pass this feedback to Sony to consider.

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

@ChrisChr wrote:

Dear Sony User Support.

When a problem is reported by so many people who love the product I think that answering that the problem does not exist and giving only reset or setting instructions does not really help.

It is possible that not all users with firmware 4.1.1 experience the problem. And it is also possible that this is a consequence of factors that are difficult to determine, such as a failure during the update process, internet issues during the update, etc. Therefore, not being an error that occurs in one hundred percent of cases, it is possible that Sony technicians believe that the problem does not exist.

But if you read carefully the comments of the forum and other Internet sites, it is very clear that it is a problem that affects many users and that these users love the product and the brand.

I respectfully suggest that Sony enable an option to downgrade previous versions of firmware. It is an effective solution and that they can possibly implement quickly. Users should not be left stranded if an update has problems during installation or if it does not meet the expectations of some users. And in this way, Sony would show a strong commitment to its users that we would all appreciate.

Best.

Absolutely.

After weeks of zero progress with customer 'support', I finally made the decision to return my XM3's for a refund so that I can give my money to a manufacturer who might take issues such as this more seriously.

Problems arise, but it's how they're addressed that defines the ethos of a company. Sony have demonstrated clearly that they have little interest in providing support once they have your money.

Hope you all manage to get what you're looking for, but as for me, I'm out.

profile.country.GB.title
janush_

@GapsOfTheGod do you have a possibility to give them back to the shop or will you use the official sony warranty? Please let me know because I have no possibility to return them to the shop...