Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
profile.country.GB.title
Paprikaa

Okay but we all know that this issue isn't on every headset.. but people
having this issue are 100% noticing it, there is no doubt about that.
It would be cool if Sony realised that this """rare""" dysfunction of the
ANC on some devices is real.
profile.country.GB.title
Liersi
Explorer

There's a good explanation that includes both scenarios: a spectrum of frequencies could be affected. Depending on what the ambient noise is the difference is more or less obvious. I've experienced both an obvious and less obvious difference comparing two pairs side by side. If you're playing music on them it will be harder to discern a difference, naturally. If anybody's comparing with music, that'd defeat the point.

profile.country.GB.title
cdlftw
Explorer

Would you care to share the conditions under which you feel you *can* discern a difference?  I'm sat here with a 2.0.0 pair and a 4.1.1 pair, and one is going back to Amazon.  At the moment, it's the 2.0.0 pair that's going back as I can find no difference whatsoever.

profile.country.GB.title
simonweppe

I like many of you listen to these heaphones in an office environment. I've iupdated the firmware today and have immediately noticed that I'm hearing everyone a lot more. More mouse clicks from the open office and now even the door closing behind me (this did not happen before). I've also noticed that the crunch of crisp packets are much louder. 

SONY - can you

1) get your engineers to relisten to the headphones before and after the firmware update. You can't say that there isn't a difference. 

2) If you're still saying that there isn't a difference, then allow us to downgrade as most of us are clearly noticing a difference. 

Many thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
mrlemur

So Sony replied with this:

Thank you for your your patience.
Please note that your case has been under investigation, and we can confirm that no changes were made in the performance of the Noise Cancelling function with the update.
However, if you suspect that this feature no longer works properly after the update, you can send the headset to our authorised service centre to get it inspected and repaired.

Sony have said there is no problem at all, and we are imagining it. I shouldn't have to send my headphones in for something which is clearly a software issue.

gaminoos
Explorer

Maybe having serial numbers of working/failing 4.1.1 firmware could help spotting issue for engineers?

Something like XXXX : OK or XXXX : KO.

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi mrlemur,

I think this would be a good option to consider. Since they couldn't spot any problems with the latest firmware, then it'd be better if one of their engineers could physically inspect the headphones and check what seems to be the problem.

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
simonweppe

My serial number is '4-414-663-22(1)' for info Sony

profile.country.GB.title
vikto000
Explorer

I have the same problem, bought them for 5 weeks ago in Hongkong while on business trip and i live in sweden, so cant really do anything about the issue. But after i updated them 3 weeks ago i experience the same problem as mentioned earlier in the thread. Is there any way to roll back to the previous update in anyway? Tried the factory reset option 3 times and problem is still there and the headphones still says they are on 4.1.1. 

Serial number: 4-738-416-01

profile.country.NO.title
FrancisRoss

Where do you find the Serial # ? Only number I can find is below the L
indicator symbol, and is a 7-digit number without hyphens.