Join now - be part of our community!

Can I replace DDR266 module memory by DDR333 on my Vaio

barer03
Visitor

Can I replace DDR266 module memory by DDR333 on my Vaio

Hi All,

I recently bought a VAIO RS104 Pentium IV 2.66 Ghz , this one is shipped with 256MB DDR 266 (pc2100) memory module . I whishe to replace the memory module in place by 512MB DDR333 (pc2700) supported by the chipset I845 PE, so I have opened an issue to E-Support which has answered to go at www.vaio-link.com "upgrade memory link" [:">] to know the memory supported . it is indicated that I should only add memory DDR266 . I asked E-support why I cannot add DDR333 whereas the chipet I845 PE does support up to DDR333, since no answer E-support nor on the question about the motherboard used . Could you please help ..
Sorry if I did some mistake I am a french guy ...

Thanks in advance,

Cheers, Eric .

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Eric,

I would go with the 266DDR, then there will be less problems.

iainjturner
Visitor

Usually if higher rated memory is used, it will still work, but at the slower speed.

kee-lo_

Ah, thnx for the info Ian :slight_smile:

barer03
Visitor

HI Ian,

Do you mean that DDR 333 could be accepted on my VAIO but the rate speed memory will be stiil 266 even if I remove the memory module DDR266 ?

Thanks .

Regards, Eric

robpaxton
Explorer

If the DDR333 is used by itself then it should run at the higher speed (If the motherboard supports it)

I'd phone somebody like Crucial and see if they'll let you have it to try - you never know your luck and the worst they can do is say no.

barer03
Visitor

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for your help .

Regards, Eric .

chuckalicious
Visitor

I mailed Sony and asked them about this. They told me that as they only supply 266 memory, they would not tell me whether it would work or not. How nice :slight_smile:

As for using 333 memory, I think you will find that it will not run at that speed. The reason being most of the Athlon chips that Sony use are non-Barton cored CPUs and as far as I know, Barton (2500+ etc) chips are the only ones which can really use this memory. I may be wrong of course. Also, you need a motherboard which can support that memory clock speed. I doubt very much that Sony would add functionality like that to one of their bits and not use it, so I don't think it would work.
Shame.
Please correct me if someone has tried it and it worked.

kee-lo_

I mailed Sony and asked them about this. They told me that as they only supply 266 memory, they would not tell me whether it would work or not. How nice :slight_smile:

Doesn't suprise me :angry:

chuckalicious
Visitor

Wellllll, it would seem I was wrong, I think. Barton cores are not the only ones which can use 333 DDR Ram, Thoroughbred (spelling??) core Athlons can support it, or at least will work with it. Don't think my Athlon, a 2400+ is one of those though, so it still won't work :slight_frown: