Join now - be part of our community!

Installing a Radeon 9700 or 9800 graphics card in a RX305

RobbyD2
Visitor

Installing a Radeon 9700 or 9800 graphics card in a RX305

Hi all. My first time on these forums as only just worked out where they were!

Anyway, my question is, I am looking to upgrade my graphics card in my vaio RX305 to something with a little more go...like the new ATI 9800 or Nvidia FX5900. These powerful graphic cards all seem to require additional power, and need to be connected up to the PSU. I had a little look inside the case and could only find one power connection, and that looked to be for a spare hard disc.

Has anybody installed a graphics card requiring additional power, and if so is it easy/possible, or should I forget all about it?

All help gratefully recieved! :smileygrin:

1 REPLY 1
chuckalicious
Visitor

Looked on the ATI site and they seem to suggest that the power for the Radeon 9800 Pro uses the same socket type as hardrives and CD-ROMs do, so you should be fine there. If you found it was the wrong size, all you need to do is buy a cable extension from Maplin as these can both extend and change connector types for you.
As for nVidia, they're download (ASUS) of the instruction manual is very slow, so bear with me :slight_smile:
Okay, the instructions sucked. It didn't mention power cables. I would imagine it ocld only be either a hardrive one or a floppy drive one, so you'd be okay, although you may need a converted (few £ from Maplin).
Other than that I can't see it being a problem, although I do not know about the AGP speeds (8x etc). I think a high end card will still work on a lower end AGP port.
Any suggestion here from folk who know about the AGP setup?