Join now - be part of our community!

weak network signal

SOLVED
briant566
Visitor

weak network signal

Sorry if posted twice but not sure first one posted

Since the last upgrade i have had weak  network coverage on 02 today i have a one bar or no signal but my parter on same network on nokia phone has had full or 4 bars

Back home it slightly better but only have two bars to her full  do i need to do a full reset  ? or contact Sony Service

Before anybody asks I have not dropped it !

Any Ideas ??

Update

just been into settings  I never use mobile data as PAYG use free wi-fi for e mails

What setting should i use  4G  WCDMA only or WCDMA GSM   signal seems better on last one but still weak

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
briant566
Visitor

Well Phone now been sent back a third time as " No fault found "

so looks like i may be leaving the Sony Club  as i dont want to Leave O2 as all family on it .so will looking at selling phone and trying samsung its a pity as did like the phone Good screen and camera just cant be used as a Phone at Home or anywere were weak signal

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
briant566
Visitor

Hi
Just posted about weak network signal but run diagnostics and can't see were it checks signal strength does wi fi and Bluetooth but no network!!!
SergioPL1
Contributor

Head into Settings / About phone / About phone.

There you will find network connection type and level. On my phone LTE connection with 3 bars is around -90 dBm / 49 asu.

On 2G/3G my phone drops connection around -113 dBm.

Also keep in mind that signal strength is different on 2G / 3G and LTE/4G networks. Each of them uses different bands and different base station locations.

For example in my home I often have full 2G/3G coverage and 1 - 3 bars of LTE coverage. When I take one phone with LTE and another unit with 2G/3G only one will show 1 bar and another full bars due to different band on the same network.

briant566
Visitor

Hi

Just to update  i have tried  Hard Reset and software repair tool but still not happy with the signal strength  I  know 02 can be a problem in some areas but missed two calls at home as no signal  Old Nokia in same room has  2 bars

So packed it up and sent it for  to Sony  Service for Examination /repair as still under warranty  as in all location it never gets full signal

briant566
Visitor

Sent my Phone off to Sony Repair Centre by post very impressed with the system on line which gives you a repair number and keeps you updated when they got the Phone and when it was dispatched back a very Good System

Phone arrived back today in less than 5 days so pleased   put sim card and problem is still the same ! 

repair sheet says problem resolved but no mention of what they did and no parts used

Spoke to a lady Sony repair and she is also a a loss what they did " suspect they just did software Repair which i did "

can anybody else say if they have weak network issues with O2

Sim card put in Nokia 701  4 bar signal  Sony Z1 compacts same location on desk 1 or 2 bars ?

So try again next week

briant566
Visitor

Well I can not live with this Phone now Signal is constantly at 2-3 bars been out all day in Leeds Never once had full signal

so packed it up and sent it back again with note saying still the same

So see what happens next

briant566
Visitor

Phone recieved back as no fault found meets industry standards so now sent back for third time for High level Checks

so if it comes back again looks like 

1)  continue to use my old Nokia  slow

2)  buy  a new phone Not Sony

What worries me is all these new phones seem to have weak signal on 3g and we only have that were i live

1paulchadwick
Explorer

Hi Brian

There's a good chance it's the o2 network.  I've been having problems all week with it on my own & my work's phone.

You can check on http://status.o2.co.uk/

I asked Tesco Mobile (who piggy back o2 network) & they suggested I turn off 4G & use on 2 G; well I would do if I knew how to Slightly_smiling_Face

Good Luck

Paul

briant566
Visitor

Thanks

I no 02 is poor  and  i use 2g/3g as no 4g but as said our two other phones seem able to cope

But even in th City it never got full signal

So will see what they say

briant566
Visitor

Well Phone now been sent back a third time as " No fault found "

so looks like i may be leaving the Sony Club  as i dont want to Leave O2 as all family on it .so will looking at selling phone and trying samsung its a pity as did like the phone Good screen and camera just cant be used as a Phone at Home or anywere were weak signal