Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
profile.country.NZ.title
The-pie-man
Explorer

I've got the same issue here, all the way down in NZ. Be really great to have this working as they were advertised. 

profile.country.US.title
wizll-
Explorer

phew. glad to have seen this and was still able to abort the upgrade before it finished.

thanks for this.

profile.country.GB.title
Bigmick777

I wished I had. The noise cancellation has definaty reduced for me as
well.
profile.country.IE.title
hosami
New

I am also experiencing the same issue since the update. 

profile.country.US.title
fpcatcherdad

profile.country.GB.title
Liersi
Explorer

Just registered to confirm that my WH-1000XM2 behave the same way as described here after the update to 4.1.1. NC is audibly worse and there's a slight hiss in the background. Multiple resets, optimizations, different devices tried make no difference at all. In fact, the headphones don't need to be connected to aynthing to hear this. NC is audibly worse after the update.

profile.country.EE.title
paulpourtout
New

Same issue on my WH-1000xm3. Really disappointed about this as it was the main purpose for buying this headphones model. Any update on a patch or a possible downgrade from the Sony team ?

profile.country.GB.title
Vannglorious
Explorer

I have sent email to customer service asking them about 4.1.1 ANC issue and am waiting for them to get back to me. Today I was trying to watch something on Netflix during the lunch break at work and I was able to hear all people around me just maybe 20% quiter... It's very disappointing... I'm really enjoying music quality and how comfortable headphones are but this ANC issue is really putting them down.

profile.country.GB.title
Paprikaa

I've got the same issue here, a really bad ANC that cancels almost nothing...
PLEASE DO SOMETHING SONY

profile.country.GB.title
janush_

Same problem after update. I have got the answer from support to make the reset... I aked them for te old software but no answer. I hope they will make it work again couse now they are useless in office...