Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
profile.country.GB.title
simonweppe

But they are actually investigating it properly now? 

I ask this because beforehand other members here have said that the engineers looked into it and found no issues. 

Hopefully due to number of people complaining they've re-opened their case. 

Fingers crossed

profile.country.US.title
ricklen

@simonweppe wrote:

But they are actually investigating it properly now? 

I ask this because beforehand other members here have said that the engineers looked into it and found no issues. 

Hopefully due to number of people complaining they've re-opened their case. 

Fingers crossed

I'm not sure, mailed them again to possibly come with more details. I'll post updates here. I'm sending my headphones back because I notice a clicking sound in the left earcup, so two issues with this headphones in 5 days.

profile.country.SE.title
NiklasSv
Explorer

I'd say probably not, Sony has gotten to be quite (in)famous for their arrogance when it comes to customer feedback.

I've decided to stick with the phones anyway since they're sounding as nice as they're doing. And sometime in the future there will be a new firmware wich probably will fix this issue, even if  Sony decides to publically acknowlege it or not.  They are aware of the problem, they can't miss it, they can't have deaf engineers only.

profile.country.US.title
ricklen

Yea time will tell... I'm keeping them also and hope for a fix.

profile.country.SE.title
selkess
Explorer

I have tested the m2 and m3 whit latest firmware 4.1.1 

m2 has a slight more white noise so voices are more muffled

m3 has less white noise so i can hear voices little bit more 

i cant recall how it was on 2.0 because i updated both asap =/ 

Enaegels
Explorer

Hi

would you have any news in this please?

noise cancelling does not work since the upgrade to 4.11

also for your understanding: noise canceling full or just for wind works only on the right headset making a dis balanced between the ears. Putting music in this mode is horrible, very bad quality.

a note for you as well : in this mode it is like having the voice over (front end) active .

turning to ambiance sound 1 and higher the quality of the music is back and opertaional.

last tip for you: I bought it in December 2018 and upgraded a few days after to 411 ... and got the problem just a week ago!!! What was the reason sundenly ? I have maybe the answer: I had a call with a friend for 20minutes, then after closing the discussion the noise cancelling never got back to work.

this tip and the one above are very relative to the microphone. Is it not the problem?

i need this to be solved other wise it will go back to support.

OR 

do do you have a procedure to downgrade the firmware to 2.x version ?

thanks in advance for your reply

regards

eric

Enaegels
Explorer

Totally agree

just wondering where is the product manager ? 

Reading these threads of comments I would urgently act !

Enaegels
Explorer

I tried from another source iPhone with no app installed ... same issue

Enaegels
Explorer

No possible

i used another source 

same issue

profile.country.US.title
Prasad1337
Explorer

I'm so thankful for this thread! I updated to 4.1.1 right after buying these and noticed the hissing in ambient mode loud and clear. I went back to the store to compare the ANC with the demo unit and it's significantly worse. Returning asap