Join now - be part of our community!

PCV-RSM21 and Win2000 pro

Bahia
Visitor

PCV-RSM21 and Win2000 pro

Hello everyone!

some weeks ago i bought a sony-vaio, the pcv-rsm21. over the last years i was very satisfied with win2000 pro, so i formated the vaio and installed win2000 - since then nothing has been the same. i did everything i could to find the correct drivers but i could'nt find all. i rang the hotline, but they would not help me with the drivers. so i asked for a specific hardware list, which they would not give me either. They told me that there is a list on the vaio website, which is true, but the list is everything else, but not specific. in order to find the correct drivers it is paramount to know the exact hardware specification. does anybody know how i can obtain such a specification? i've heard of a software, which is able to identify every bit of hardware on a computer - does somebody know how it's called or where i can get it?

i've read some of the previous postings here and it's like a punch in the stomack, i mean, can it be possible that sony designed the vaio pc's to work only for one operational system? i understand that there are problems and conflicts with software and that not everyone can or wants to program for all OS - that's ok. i knew that i would not be able to run the provides software on win2000 and that's ok, BUT i can't belive that i'm forced to use winXP. when i go somewhere to by a pc, i understand that i buy hardware not software and for sure i DON'T BUY A OS that i'm forced to use without exception.

can anybody show me a light at the end of the tunel?

thank you in advance for your replies and sorry for my awkward english (i'm not a native)

Bahia

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Well, if you logon onto vaio-link.com and go to downloads / Windows 2000 you should find most of the drivers you'll need. The only things you won't get are PictureGear and all that biz.

Bahia
Visitor

thank you for answering so fast. the problem is, that i allready spent a lot of time on the vaio-link homepage and tried every possible link to get some drivers. BUT there are NO drivers, except 4 drivers for adobe premiere and external hardware like handhelds and that stuff.
i don't know if it was you, but someone has allready posted on this board, saying that there are drivers on vaio-link. from the replies to that posting i know that the others, who were looking for drivers, didn't find them either.
i mean, have you been on the vaio homepage? have you seen the drivers there? maybe i'm just blind or to stupid to find them ... i just know that under DOWNLOADS > WINDOWS 2000 are no drivers !!!
if you know of another solution, i would be very thankfull if you could tell me.

thank you
Bahia

maybe you could recover to win xp, then watch out for the specific hardware in the device manager write the different types of hw on a piece of paper, format the drive, install win 2000 and download the ****ing drivers from a website like fileshack or so!!

steffen

Bahia
Visitor

steffen,

that's a very good idea - i think i'll do that. or maybe i'll settle with XP after all. i discovered that there is a XP-anti-spy-ware ... :devil:

thank you for your help
bahia

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sorry I don't have any Sony VAIO desktops, so I don't know, I'm just trying to help you out.