Join now - be part of our community!

CMOS battery failed mesage at startup (PCV-RX501)

yannmass
Visitor

CMOS battery failed mesage at startup (PCV-RX501)

Hello,
When I boot my computer, I've got a message 'CMOS battery failed' and the system time is reset to 12/31/2001.
What can I do ? Change the battery but I don't know how to do this.

Thanks.
Yannmass

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The CMOS battery is a silver battery about the size of a 10p piece. You'll find it near the bottom.

Stephanius
Visitor

You have two options.
From your units model name I gather that it is stil under warranty, so you can call Vaio Link and have it repaired free of charge.

If you are reasonably technical and not clumsy, you can also remove power from the unit, open it and located the bios battery. If you are lucky it can be removed easily and you can take it to a photo shop to get a new button battery.
Careful though, if you damage anything in this process or insert an incorrect battery, this will void your units warranty.

kee-lo_

The best idea would be to get VAIO-Link to llok at it.
It's a bit strange that the CMOS battery has already gone in such a short time.

iainjturner
Visitor

The batteries usually last at least a couple of years, I know of a PC which is 8 years old and it has still got its original CMOS battery!

They're not too difficult to replace, just check there's no label over it, as this could be a warrenty void indicator, which if broken, obviously voids your warrenty.

kee-lo_

A computer at my old school had a CMOS battery last just over a day :slight_frown: