Join now - be part of our community!

Screen Fault Issue (V, W & X series, e.g. KDL40X****, KDL46X****, KDL40W4***, KDL46W4**)

profile.country.en_GB.title
leonintelex
Visitor

Screen Fault Issue (V, W & X series, e.g. KDL40X****, KDL46X****, KDL40W4***, KDL46W4**)

This problem is much bigger than intially anticipated,  it appears that it is present in a large amount of Sony TV's released in 2007.

To help Sony customers and keep them up to date on the situation I have decided to do a separate thread where people can post updates.   I will update it as further news comes in.

Q+A's - Grey lines on Sony TV's

What is the problem?
Grey Dark Lines that appear on these models after a period of 2-3 years, these lines get worse over time.

Which Models are affected?

V, W & X series, e.g. KDL40X****, KDL46X****, KDL40W4***, KDL46W4**

How many people are affected by this:?

Up to now I have found over 90 people who are all reporting this problem.

What is Sony's current stance on this manufacturing fault?

Intially Sony will request that you pay £80 for the TV to be looked at,  if it turns out that the TV is a manufacturing fault then they may decide to fix or replace it at that point.

Currently they are offering no reassurance that:

A: You will not be left footing the bill

B: You will not loose your £80

C: This is indeed a manufacturing fault

😧 You will not be left without any TV for more than 4 weeks

Is it just Sony TV's that are affected by this fault?

No Toshiba TV's are also affected however Toshiba offer either an immediate replacement or an uplift for credit

Gosh, you are persistent what do you plan to do?

At the moment I am hoping that Sony take a similar stance to Toshiba and try to recitify this problem so customers feel a little less cheated.    I feel the way that Sony have treated the customers is completley unfair and unlawful.

I am currently trying to get together a group of people who suffer this same issue to show Sony how widespread this problem is.

Will you ever be happy?

Yes, I am just like everyone else who feels somewhat short changed by Sony.  I bought the TV in 2007 for over £1000 and less that 2 years later it goes kaput.  I have now been fighting this since 12 months ago and as  yet still have not had a positive response.    As I was one of the early adopters of this model it appears more and more people are realising this problem,  it seems that the problem is a lot more widespread then intially thought.

Please feel free to post any updates,  thoughts, feelings on this thread.  Sony moderators, if you do have any additional information other that what we have told already then please post.

To be fair to Sony any new information will be updated and I will regularly update this post with anything new.

Please try to resolve this for me and the many other people with this problem.

Update - April 2011:

Thanks to  Lee, I have now spoken to Sony and they have offered a resolution to my  problem and I happy that it is now nearly at an end.

The  new procedure is 10 times better than when I first put the complaint in  last June (which is where most of my problems arose).   Things have  changed considerably since then and Sony was a lot more helpful this  time round. 

If  you are having these problems pick up the phone and give them a chance  to try and resolve it,  yes you may have to pay for the TV to be looked  at (approx £65) but this is to eliminate any problems that may not be  down to a manufacturing fault.

Up  until this I was under the impression that Sony were a faceless  corporate who did not care about their customers.  I now feel I was  under the wrong impression and a number of people who work for Sony do  really care about customer concerns.

Message was edited by: leonintelex - Added further information.

Message was edited by: leonintelex - Complaint now resolved

Message was edited by: leonintelex

35 REPLIES 35
murphymorgan
Visitor

My screen playing up to, KDL 40 X3000same symptoms as most others. Banding and shadows on right of screen for 20 minutes but  its getting worse also the picture is not as sharp as it used to be.

I bought it Feb 2008 it started at the end of last year seemed to go away but has come back in the last couple of month. I got a 5 year warranty with it so no real issues of cost but call this morning saying they are waiting for authorisation on one of 3 options as its a "high cost" repair

1. Tv gets repaired

2. Offer of replacement tv

3. Cost refund, but didnt say how much

Iam hoping for the latter as dont want to have another Sony tv !!

We wait for the descision  !!!

rebeliot
Visitor

I have a SONY KDL40W4500 TV just under 3 years old that has developed the fault of lines across the screen and some ghosting on the left hand side of the screen. The problem has become more prominent and consistent of late.

Is there a contact number, name of person or department at SONY that I should contact.

Tghanks

virginreco
Visitor

Can I join your club please?

photo.JPG

My details: Sony Bravia KDL40v3000

Message was edited by: virginreco

Message was edited by: virginreco

nemalle50
Visitor

Hi,

I bought the KDL-40W4500 in Nov 2008. In December 2010 I got the fault described here. I contacted Sony in Jan 2011 and they basically told me I'd have to pay for it myself as I only had a 1 year warranty. The likely cost of repair was £600+. So, i put up with the fault until December this year when i noticed a lot of forum activity around this issue and the fact that Sony acknowledged a manufacturing fault on this unit in May 11.

My TV has been collected on 3 Jan 12 (for free - no charge has been made) after I contacted Sony support via email (I often find its best to get something in writing). Does anyone know what is likely to happen? I've heard they cant replace these screens anymore and I'm likely to be offered a new TV. Im okay with this but I won't accept the  EX523 as this has an inferior picture to the W4500 (only 50 frames per sec compared to 100 and no motionflow technology!). I want the EX723. I think this is a fair replacement!

I am also wary about accepting the TV back if they do replace the screen because I won't know whether it will be one of those with the manufacturing fault!

Neil.

Message was edited by: nemalle50

Message was edited by: nemalle50

Neddis2305
Visitor

I have the same problem a s has been stated by various other members.  i.e. dark lines appearing on the screen. KDL40V3000  Fortunately I have a 5 year warranty from the Sony retailer.  When I tried to report the problem vis 'Sonex' i find out that the Sony retailers (Meadowhall in Sheffield) have gone into liquidation within the last couple of weeks. (Cold sweat breaks out!)  I get through to Sony customer support and am told that Sony are upholding the warranty that I have. Within 10 minutes of reporting the fault to them the service company are calling me and arranged for their Engineers to call and collect the TV and take it to be sorted.

Thank you Sony.  I know people have had bad experiences in the past but so far I have found them to be exemplary.

profile.country.en_IE.title
-SSeRR-
Visitor

Hi All.

My Sony KDL-40w4500 started experiencing the same screen  fault as everybodys else. It's only 3 years old, and it started 6 months  ago.