Join now - be part of our community!

Screen Fault Issue (V, W & X series, e.g. KDL40X****, KDL46X****, KDL40W4***, KDL46W4**)

profile.country.en_GB.title
leonintelex
Visitor

Screen Fault Issue (V, W & X series, e.g. KDL40X****, KDL46X****, KDL40W4***, KDL46W4**)

This problem is much bigger than intially anticipated,  it appears that it is present in a large amount of Sony TV's released in 2007.

To help Sony customers and keep them up to date on the situation I have decided to do a separate thread where people can post updates.   I will update it as further news comes in.

Q+A's - Grey lines on Sony TV's

What is the problem?
Grey Dark Lines that appear on these models after a period of 2-3 years, these lines get worse over time.

Which Models are affected?

V, W & X series, e.g. KDL40X****, KDL46X****, KDL40W4***, KDL46W4**

How many people are affected by this:?

Up to now I have found over 90 people who are all reporting this problem.

What is Sony's current stance on this manufacturing fault?

Intially Sony will request that you pay £80 for the TV to be looked at,  if it turns out that the TV is a manufacturing fault then they may decide to fix or replace it at that point.

Currently they are offering no reassurance that:

A: You will not be left footing the bill

B: You will not loose your £80

C: This is indeed a manufacturing fault

😧 You will not be left without any TV for more than 4 weeks

Is it just Sony TV's that are affected by this fault?

No Toshiba TV's are also affected however Toshiba offer either an immediate replacement or an uplift for credit

Gosh, you are persistent what do you plan to do?

At the moment I am hoping that Sony take a similar stance to Toshiba and try to recitify this problem so customers feel a little less cheated.    I feel the way that Sony have treated the customers is completley unfair and unlawful.

I am currently trying to get together a group of people who suffer this same issue to show Sony how widespread this problem is.

Will you ever be happy?

Yes, I am just like everyone else who feels somewhat short changed by Sony.  I bought the TV in 2007 for over £1000 and less that 2 years later it goes kaput.  I have now been fighting this since 12 months ago and as  yet still have not had a positive response.    As I was one of the early adopters of this model it appears more and more people are realising this problem,  it seems that the problem is a lot more widespread then intially thought.

Please feel free to post any updates,  thoughts, feelings on this thread.  Sony moderators, if you do have any additional information other that what we have told already then please post.

To be fair to Sony any new information will be updated and I will regularly update this post with anything new.

Please try to resolve this for me and the many other people with this problem.

Update - April 2011:

Thanks to  Lee, I have now spoken to Sony and they have offered a resolution to my  problem and I happy that it is now nearly at an end.

The  new procedure is 10 times better than when I first put the complaint in  last June (which is where most of my problems arose).   Things have  changed considerably since then and Sony was a lot more helpful this  time round. 

If  you are having these problems pick up the phone and give them a chance  to try and resolve it,  yes you may have to pay for the TV to be looked  at (approx £65) but this is to eliminate any problems that may not be  down to a manufacturing fault.

Up  until this I was under the impression that Sony were a faceless  corporate who did not care about their customers.  I now feel I was  under the wrong impression and a number of people who work for Sony do  really care about customer concerns.

Message was edited by: leonintelex - Added further information.

Message was edited by: leonintelex - Complaint now resolved

Message was edited by: leonintelex

35 REPLIES 35
Pinball
Visitor

Purchased my KDL-40V3000 in March 2008

My screen has the grey shadows over the left portion of the screen and gradually got worse.

This is a clear issue with this set.

I have just read this post by "StartTheCar"

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/659078#659078

I laughed that you havent listed the "V" spec Tv.

This needs sorting out and the KDL-40V3000 needs listing in that list without question.

mstaniak
Explorer

"... This needs sorting out and the KDL-40V3000 needs listing in that list without question."

We have to make more noise, shout louder and push harder since our TVs are cheaper...

terrac
Visitor

has anyone else got any further and had any success with a repair or replacement on the V series?

Just about to start the process after being fobbed off by my retailer.

ollie101
Visitor

my issues has been resolved, they replaced my set for a KDLEX724 :slight_smile: so far the TV is superb 

Johnno2824
Visitor

Hi I posted on the only other forum to remain unlocked http://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/thread/117239?start=61&tstart=0 (2 weeks ago) to say that my KDL-46X3000 had been repaired FOC and was working normally with a new replacement screen - unfortunately it only lasted one week and it now back with the repairer with almost the same problems as before - dark screen, double images and 4 horizontals bands across the screen - after two hours it would suddendly click back to normal and be fine until the next switch off and switch on. Hope it lasts a bit longer the next time!!

Set returned again, seems to be behaving this time. Hope it's not like the last replacement screen.

Message was edited by: Johnno2824

Message was edited by: Johnno2824

tigwalker
Visitor

I have the fault of the black shadows. Had them for over a year now. Just recently though my screen has developed 4 horizontal  bands/zones across the screen of different shades!! WTF!!

I emailed currys who said they could look at it for £60. If it a manufacturers error theyll repair free of charge. Should i accept this? Or challenge sony?? Any help much appreciated.

terrac
Visitor

** Update on mine so far ***

I have mailed the guys that  StartTheCar suggested I contact on 29th June.    Received NOTHING so far  in return.  No response at all, not even an acknowlegement of the  email.

I  have also contacted BBC's Watchdog and registered a complaint on  there.  Not sure if it will acheive anything but if enough of us do it  then they may take a look for us.

Register you complaint here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

Contacted  my retailer under Sale of goods act..  Their reply indicates a "take us  to court then" attitude.    Why cant everyone be like costco?!!?!?

anyone have any good news??

tigwalker
Visitor

well im waiting for currys to come pick the tv up so we will see what they say to us!

suntan2813
Visitor

Hi, I live in Cyprus and my Sony Bravia 40" LCD TV is having problems with screen, of course its just over two years old so the warranty has run out.. have tried to contact the Sony Dealer in Cyprus but they say we have to pay Euro 50 to send to Nicosia to have it looked at and it could take up to two weeks, but repairs have to be paid.

How on earth do you get to contact someone at Sony to complain about this screen fault, we have blurred picture down left hand side and the warmer the TV gets it gets worse, also screen splits into four sections, if it helps anyone we have found that by placing a large fan behind TV to keep it cooler helps a little, obviously not the right solution but where to go from here.... help someone. 

Pinball
Visitor

The day Sony acknowledge the manufacturing defect with the KDL-V4000 is the day i eat my hat.

As it wasted stated earlier in this thread , the V series was the cheaper of the 3 series thus it is highly likely that more was sold of the V series and would be far more costly for Sony to admit a manufacturing defect with this model.