Join now - be part of our community!

Buzzing on KDL 55HX923

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
simlamb
Visitor

Buzzing on KDL 55HX923

Hi there

I have seen it mentioned on here a couple of times but seemingly with no resolve. I am on my second set; the guy at the sony centre has really tried to help. On both sets the buzzing is distracting and when switched off makes a ticking sound. I am really dissapointed because I have 4 lcd tvs in the house and they are all Sony and all a whisper quiet unless you get REALLY close. This I can hear from the kitchen.

What should I do - I love sony but I am tempted to take it back and go with a samsung or panasonic....

Help

43 REPLIES 43
Bravia55HX

well that certainly is a result, but that does not really say if some kind of re call is nessessary or not, funny that its only done this on a few sets that i know of, you of coarse will have to update the forum further with any information, is this a one off or if any further comment from Sony is pending, and having re manufactured the board does this mean all the HX's will need replacement?

im sure a few others will be keen to get theirs sorted as well.

simlamb
Visitor

Result is right. Thank god I stuck with it. I almost changed....

All I know is that it is a recognised issue. I think the buzzing depends on the environment that the TV is in and so it only shows up where there are low voltage lighting set ups that transmit a frequecy close to the power supply; although low voltage lighting is pretty common I guess.

The key was that if I only had one bank on then there was little interference but with them all on in the lower floor of my house it was unbearable... The other interesting thing was that my in-laws seemed to not to find it as distracting as us. I know that with age your high frequency sensitivity drops.

I can report that now with the washing machine off there seems to be no issue although I am gonna try a few things tonight to finally be happy.

The answer seems to have been accepted as 'call your service centre' - actually it was not as simple as that as the first two I called said that they couldnt help and that they did not recognise the issue. I guess the moto is that even if the service centre tells you that they cant help try others and just stick with it. Keep pressing and stay polite.

Thanks for the help!

CheekyChau
Visitor

Hi Simlamb and all you guys,

glad to hear that you got this fault resolved - pats on back all round for persistence by you and good support from the engineer who finally resolved your issue.

I also have the ticking noise on my KDL-55HX923, the issue with buzzing etc is not a big problem and the ticking is only noticable when in stand-by mode. 

What I wanted to know was if the issue poses a threat to my TV's well being?  I am not bothered by the ticking and have not suffered the humming that plagued your set but I am just worried that the interference/ticking could be taking a toll on the set.

Any opinion/advice on whether this kind of voltage interference and the ticking it causes could damage my set would be much appreciated.

Cheers

:slight_smile:

Bravia55HX

its highly unlikely that this will have any detrimental effect on the tv itself, most certainly if there was anything to worry about at all the Sony moderators on this site would have said something by now.

simlamb
Visitor

Hi

Interesting question. The engineer was very quick to point out that this was not a fault that would have affected performance or longevity. Not being tecnical I trusted him.

The only thought I had with my logical hat on was that potentially the extra vibration, which I am guessing is the noice, would cause more stress in the long-term. The clicking post standby is so minor however I would tend to ignore it, although I have no ticking in mine now.

Cheers

Simon

CheekyChau
Visitor

Hi Simon and KDL-55HX923,

thanks to you both for your kind and thoughtful answers - yeah prob not too much of a worry, as you say Sony mods would prob have said something by now if it was.

Fingers crossed we can all just sit back and do what we wanted to in the first place, watch some kick-ass tv on an awesome set haha :slight_smile:

goldenboot9
Visitor

Simon,

Had a Sony approved engineer round yesterday, and he had not heard of this issue, and initially insisted that it was a problem with my dimming switches that he could do nothing about. After showing him this thread, and pleading with him to check it out, he called the main Sony Service centre, and by chance he ended up speaking to the very person who fixed your TV. Between them they have agreed to try the same approach as with your TV, by attaching a new power board. They have ordered the new part and are coming round next week to fit it. They did say that it was not guaranteed to fix the problem, but are going to give it a go anyway.

I live in hope, but I certainly wouldn't have got this far without visiting this forum and reading all the helpful tips and suggestions.

Thanks very much all!!!

simlamb
Visitor

Hey Goldenboot

Yes this forum is helpful, and I guess persistence is also helpful. Visual FX the company who serviced the TV were great BUT I have to say the three others I dealt with were the same as your chap.... it is your problem. The point is that they should provide you with a set that works in a normal home environment, much like you expect a website these days to work in multiple browsers, they should test the usual things people have in their homes. Dimmer switches and low voltage lighting is everywhere. So good on you.

Please let us know how you get on - you can help others by replying!

The point is that Catmambos response that is down as correct is in fact not correct as the service provided by the service centres is inconsistent.

Cheers

Simon

goldenboot9
Visitor

I certainly will. I have my fingers crossed in the meantime!

Cheers!

Bravia55HX

Hi guys,

i've been keeping an eye on this thread as im keen to see the final answer to this, i am also glad this forum is serving its perpose and proving useful in spreading thoughts, ideas, and solutions to problems as well as challenging questions, i just hope that sony notice the growing need on these forums and can find the time within their regular day job to provide more assistance as and when needed, to be fair to these guys they had not anticipated the growth here and many provide assistance in their spare time, but i have a feeling things will change soon