Join now - be part of our community!

Buzzing on KDL 55HX923

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
simlamb
Visitor

Buzzing on KDL 55HX923

Hi there

I have seen it mentioned on here a couple of times but seemingly with no resolve. I am on my second set; the guy at the sony centre has really tried to help. On both sets the buzzing is distracting and when switched off makes a ticking sound. I am really dissapointed because I have 4 lcd tvs in the house and they are all Sony and all a whisper quiet unless you get REALLY close. This I can hear from the kitchen.

What should I do - I love sony but I am tempted to take it back and go with a samsung or panasonic....

Help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

I'd get it looked at by your local service centre they are best placed to assist on this one I think. Details at the top of this page on how to find your nearest one.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
Bravia55HX

Hi,

switching to Samsung or Panasonic may present you with different problems and then you be no better off, your issue seems related to the energy saving switch on the right hand side, if you get close to it you will hear it comming from there, to be honest it should not be happening and you will need to get your dealer to sort it out,

i have exactly the same set and its perfect, nothing of which you describe.

just to confirm its the switch, try turning it off from there and see if it ticks afterwards if it does not then its the switch.

simlamb
Visitor

Hey there,

Thanks. Yes that is why i buy sony; i know what i am getting. I have never had an issue before.

It doesnt tick when i switch off at the side but that switch turns off the power to the set fully doesnt it? That would mean that there would be no ticking. But you are right it only ticks in standby from the controller. I spoke to the sony help desk and they said that they have never heard of the problem which now seems odd seeing as it is on a few sites including this one.

I am wondering if anyone has solved the issue through swapping out or via sony support. I really dont want to replace it with another make.

Cheers

Bravia55HX

Deffo the switch then, and yes its an Eco switch which basically if your that mean and 0.25 of a watt will burn a hole in your pocket you can turn the set off from there.

your left with two choices really, get the switch swapped out or the set swapped out again.

simlamb
Visitor

Thanks for coming back. I will call the sony centre today and see what they say. I hope they dont thinkni am being over sensitive! However, when you spend this kinda cash you expect it to work.

I hope i can get it fixed becaue i love the set.

simlamb
Visitor

Here is the strange thing...... Maybe others should investigate too. I have been REALLY confused that the buzzing is SIGNIFICANTLY worse at night. I could not work it out. Every morning i come downstairs and switch on the TV 'phew it it's fixed', I think.

Every evening I get dissapointed by the fact that the tv is buzzing again.... Hmmm So this morning I switched on the lights in the lounge on the dimmer and BINGO the buzzing on the TV goes mental. I wish I could explain it as none of my other sets react. The 46w4000 that was there before never reacted. Is it sheilding? The lights are on a different circuit.

One for people to try.

simlamb
Visitor

And after further investigation it occurs whenever I use a dimmer anywhere in the house. Deffo a hardware fault then. - Bravia - do you have low voltage dimmers in your house?

Simon

Bravia55HX

Simon,

funny you should mention that as in fact i do in the living room, its a varilight remote dimmer i would not say its low voltage though, and i would find it hard to accept that would cause it, may i make a suggestion, have you considered, and i find these essential and that is to purchase a surge protector/mains conditioner of the likes of whats in the link below, not only to protect your purchase from surges but to filter out any unwanted RF.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-Conditioner-Frequency-Interference-Filter/dp/B000PS5700

may be cheaper this way than replacing all the dimmers in the house, well easier anyway plus i find these very good at protecting expensive kit like this.

Andy.

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

Message was edited for spelling mistakes by: Bravia55HX923

simlamb
Visitor

Thanks for this - seems a move to other manufacturer is not best idea.....

http://www.morgandavis.net/blog/2009/10/29/buzzing-about-samsung-led-tv-noise/

This TV is obviously sensitive in a way that my others are not. Maybe the stripped down thin TVs have less sheilding in them.

I have tried pugging it in elsewhere too and that makes no difference. Still not interference on the other TVs in the house.

I will try the surge protector or conditioner... thanks

simlamb
Visitor

Thanks again - I then realised that this was alread plugged into my hifi mains conditioner; I have some high end hifi kit.... and so it looked like a dimmer replace.

I have just come back from my local electrical wholesaler and I now have a 1000w rated switch with a 450w load that is plenty. The switch humms much less but the TV still freaks out. I am gonna try the transformers just to check but I am now at a loss. The dimmer was a high end, high load product so this TV is really now starting to do my head in... Why all the other sony tvs work I dont know.

Simon