Join now - be part of our community!

Buzzing on KDL 55HX923

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
simlamb
Visitor

Buzzing on KDL 55HX923

Hi there

I have seen it mentioned on here a couple of times but seemingly with no resolve. I am on my second set; the guy at the sony centre has really tried to help. On both sets the buzzing is distracting and when switched off makes a ticking sound. I am really dissapointed because I have 4 lcd tvs in the house and they are all Sony and all a whisper quiet unless you get REALLY close. This I can hear from the kitchen.

What should I do - I love sony but I am tempted to take it back and go with a samsung or panasonic....

Help

43 REPLIES 43
goldenboot9
Visitor

Cheers Simon,

Appreciate the response. It sounds like I will just be watching the TV in the dark then!! Haha!

Bravia55HX

simon,

you will find your nearest service centre under the support tab at the top of the page under fixes and repairs.

simlamb
Visitor

Thank you so much - I have now spoken to 2 service centres and wow they know their stuff. Immediately had heard of the problem before but doubted they could sort it at a pace I would be pleased with.... lol He recommended getting a pana 55vt30 plasma... ha ha.

Bravia55HX

of coarse he would!!, pana's got their own faults!!, like the green blob for starters!, who the eck told you that?, you should name and shame them.

simlamb
Visitor

LOL Well I am not going to change to panasonic as I have read much about the green blob! I have another engineer on call back so lets see what he says.

Bravia55HX

i would be very interested in the findings, keep us appriased.

simlamb
Visitor

I will of course!

simlamb
Visitor

SO the saga continues although I have to be fair that the SONY team have been helpful and well intended. The problem is that £2.5k is a lot of money on a TV and I don't really want to spend any more trying to get this to work.

The engineers I spoke to yesterday were quick to get to the root of the issue and it is deffo interfence on the ring main caused by dimmers or the transformers in the lights. They both had heard of this in other products but not in a TV set; despite me referring them to the comments all over the internet. Anyway, it seems that the only solution is replace the power board which I see from other forae has limited success given that the issue is probably in the architecture and components rather than a one off fault in a single set. I have had 2 sets with the same issue.

The Sony chap from Bromley has been very helpful and I think really wants to solve the issue - I spoke today and they can swap out the power board but it will take weeks for it to come in. I am not sure I can spend Christmas with a faulty TV and kids!!

Simon

Catmambo
Contributor

I'd get it looked at by your local service centre they are best placed to assist on this one I think. Details at the top of this page on how to find your nearest one.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

simlamb
Visitor

SOOOO update. I decided to give the sony team the chance they deserve to fix this as they had on the whole been really up for trying to help. The only downer had been one of the engineers from a service centre who was not helpful.

The guy from Visual FX (who was EXTREMELY nice) turned up this am and fitted a new power supply. Aparently this is now a recognised issue as of the day before christmas eve. The power supply was running at a frequency the resonated with low voltage lighting and so they have re-manufactured the part. He fitted it and we tested it. The result was that the ticking on standby has completely gone Hurrraaghh. The buzzing in relation to the lights seems also to have gone but the washing machine was on so I will test fully this evening...

So, at first sight we might have solved the issue. I will confirm this evening.

At least I wasnt going mad.....

Simon