Join now - be part of our community!

Buzzing on KDL 55HX923

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
simlamb
Visitor

Buzzing on KDL 55HX923

Hi there

I have seen it mentioned on here a couple of times but seemingly with no resolve. I am on my second set; the guy at the sony centre has really tried to help. On both sets the buzzing is distracting and when switched off makes a ticking sound. I am really dissapointed because I have 4 lcd tvs in the house and they are all Sony and all a whisper quiet unless you get REALLY close. This I can hear from the kitchen.

What should I do - I love sony but I am tempted to take it back and go with a samsung or panasonic....

Help

43 REPLIES 43
simlamb
Visitor

even worse than everything else my sony dealer is now saying that the TV is made within certain tolerances; is this now my issue. Surely a dimmer switch on a circuit in a modern house is common? And again, why do NONE of my other sony lcd/led screens not react. arrrrghhh am now stuck.

Bravia55HX

have you not got the mains conditioner yet?

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi  - is this the dealer or the service agents saying its within tolerance?

Thanks

simlamb
Visitor

Hi

This was the dealer.

simlamb
Visitor

I realised i already had one in the system as i have a high end hifi.

Bravia55HX

Hi,

fair enough, strange that the Hi Fi does'nt pick up the interference, take no notice of that "within tolerance" remark, he clearly does not have a clue,

it only leaves a couple of shot in the dark things i can think of (next to a faulty Eco switch), check your electrics make sure everything earth's properly, you been tinkering around a lot with dimmers, make sure they are well earthed, failing that put ordinary switches back for now and try that.

the other thing, and this is a bit long in the tooth now,  is a ferrite core in the mains lead to the tv.

Bravia55HX

Indeedy!, but you'd think thr Sony centre would have steered him in that direction in the first place!!

goldenboot9
Visitor

I recently bought an NX72, I also had the exact same issue. When I first plugged in the TV I thought it was faulty, so I sent it back to the shop and got a replacement. The replacement TV does the exact same thing.

I also have have dimmer switches in my lounge, and have noticed that the problem goes away when the lights are turned off.

I am very surprised that Sony have not had this problem raised before. I'm not sure if I should return the TV and get a different one or not, but I am loathed to do that because I think it is actually a great TV, and up until now I have never been disappointed with a Sony product. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

simlamb
Visitor

Goldenboot - this problem has deffo been raised before on here and on other forae and it is not a munfaturer specific issue BUT it isnt a problem with all TV sets. As I have mentioned on here before my other Sony sets work fine and without any interference. I have a 46 inch NX and have no issue.

I have now tried:

different top of the range transformers on my lights (no difference)

different high-end dimmer switches (no difference but I dont have buzzing dimmers anymore LOL)

Inserting a mains conditioner/filter (was already there and will prob try a better model)

moving the set around the house (no difference)

moving the other sets into its position (no other Sony set reacts)

Checked the earthing and reseated all the things in the fuse box (no difference

downloaded the latest software version (no difference)

The only options are as someone has suggested:

no dimmers (this isnt realistic because the house was desgined to have dimmed lighting)

high end mains conditioner c£500+ OOOUCH!

Local service centre (didnt know there was one so will deffo try that)

Take it back ;o( but I like the TV!!!

The one other question the can to mind.... are the older sets earthed? I notice that they use a kettle plug and the thinner models dont....

Cheers

Simon

simlamb
Visitor

how do I get hold of the service centre? Thanks