Join now - be part of our community!

Sony DSC-HX300 Zoom noise?

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Sony DSC-HX300 Zoom noise?

Hi,

I was just about to buy the sony dsc-hx300 but have watched a few videos on youtube and you can clearly hear the zoom motor during video playback. Is this issue across the board or do some do it and some not? This really is a deal breaker for me.

The trouble is there's not really an alternative as the Canon sx50 doesn't ahve panoramic, which is a feature I really like.and the Fujifilm HS50EXR has manaul zoom only

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Quite all cameras have this problem (not only compacts not only this one).

Even on DSC-HX300 DSC-HX300 manual - shooting movies

“The sound of the lens and lever operating will be recorded when the zoom function operates while shooting a movie. The sound of the MOVIE button operating may also be recorded when you press the MOVIE button to stop recording”

The solution is only an external microphone if applicable… (I don’t know if DSC-HX300 has an external mic input, but, I don’t think so)

An alternative? It’s hard to say.

But careful, most compact cameras have same problems!

Manual or automatic, zoom or focusing, without external microphone are all making noises!!!

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

To be honest the zoom on my Sony DSC-HX9v can't be heard unless recording in absolute silence, even then you have to crank the volume right up. I can't hear it on the Canon HS50, yet the DSC-HX300 I can hear even if substantial background noise is present 😞

jan2011
Enthusiast

Yes, but you know why Canon SX50 HX is so silent?

All depends of the zoom motor PowerShot SX50HSAn Ultra Sonic Motor ensures fast, near-silent zooming”. It's about the same using on Canon’s lenses (USM, focusing)  Canon camera-museum USM….  :slight_frown:

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Interesting. But why is my Sony HX9v silent 99.9% of the time yet the HX300 is noisy most of the time? If they can do it for one, then surely you'd think they could do it for all 😕

jan2011
Enthusiast

I simple don’t know, but all mechanism seems to be quite different.

For me, Sony DSC-HX9V  is “real” compact camera with “Smooth, cinematic Full HD 50p movie recording”.  Sony DSC-HX300Handles like a DSLR with no need to change lenses”.

But be careful with comparing…

DSC-HX300 20MPx, Canon HX50 12MPx, etc.etc….

And many, many other differences

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Thanks. Yes it's all very confusing. Cameras with the same specs can take such different pictures let alone different spec.

I did actually get my hands on the Canon SX50 today. To be honest I didn't like the menu system, the LCD screen quality, or the way the screen flips out.

jan2011
Enthusiast

It was that, I had try to say!!!

Because not only motor and zooming mechanism, but even position, quality and “isolation “ of the microphone, software of noise reduction, etc, etc

Really, “so confusing!!!”  :thinking:

For this reason I prefer:

Camera - Photos 

Camcorder - Videos.

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Yeah, I actually got rid of my camcorder because the HX9v was/is so good. I need to get some hands on time with the HX300 I think before I decide. Thanks for your help.