Join now - be part of our community!

Fake Sony charger?

Fake Sony charger?

Hi all

We have just bought from a big online retailer, a Sony chager for the battery of a Sony HX9V. I noticed it felt cheap, so studied the back and found a spelling mistake on the plastic print. We took it apart and took some photo's which hopefully will be with this post.We also checked the fuse in the plug and it's rated at 13A, which seems 'a lot'. So, before we claim for a refund from the seller, can Sony or a member here confirm if it really is a Sony product please?

Thanks in advance.

DSC01682.JPG

DSC01684.JPG

DSC01683.JPG

DSC01681.JPG

DSC01680.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Unfortunately there are fakes in the market, which can be found in online 'marketplaces' as opposed to buying direct from the retailer. Its hard to be sure without checking the actual product. 

There was a pertinent story on Watchdog a little while back about fake Apple chargers - 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/west-bromwich-man-given-electric-367534

If you are in any doubt, I would elect to return it to the seller and buy direct from a reputable store.

Hope this helps

Hi Catmambo

I think we won't be using it thats for sure. Just miffed about the fact other people out there seem to think it's ok to risk peoples lives and property for a few bucks. I wonder what is in the fuse as well (no sand I guess to quench a blow). The place we bought it from was a market seller (think wooded area). Trouble is, it's a bit difficult going back to the seller and saying it's fake without firm confirmation from Sony with evidence, and trying to find an email address to send the question to and photo's is impossible.

That Apple charger story you linked to was scary, I remember the news report now.