Join now - be part of our community!

Youtube videos do not play, only shows a black screen

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Ryanm1701

Youtube videos do not play, only shows a black screen

Hi, Looking for some advice.

Have a 65xf9005 on Oreo and the last couple of days, I have noticed that while the Youtube interface loads ok, when I try to play any video, I just get a black screen.

When I press the down directional button the remote, it shows the video timeline but the play button does not do anything and the bar that shows the progress of the video does not move.

I have uninstalled the updates on the, but same.

I have cleared the data from the app, although it was sitting at 0 bytes, and clear cache was greyed out, but same.

Other apps play videos fine, Netflix, Amazon etc and I can play Youtube videos ok through my phone or Playstation.

The only option left that i can see is to perform a system restore and set the TV up again, but was looking to see if anyone else had any advice before I do this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Ryanm1701

@IamNic the issue reoccured this morning, but I think I found the cause. The issue is occuring when I first go into the Twitch app on the TV, watch some streams, then back out of the Twitch app and load the Youtube app.

I managed to resolve the issue by Force stopping the Twitch app, then I was able to play Youtube videos without any problem.

I also noticed that after I force stopped the Twitch app, I was then able to clear data on the Youtube app, this was greyed out before.

Strange one, but I have uninstalled the Twitch app and will continue to test the Youtube app for a couple of days to see if this has resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Ryanm1701,

while I know it is a hassle, it is recommended to do a full factory reset of the TV after a firmware-update.

Maybe that resolves your issue - please report back.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Ryanm1701

Thanks @IamNic 

I did the firmware update yesterday to 6.6510 and a factory reset, so far so good.

Will test more this evening

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hey there @Ryanm1701,

thanks for reporting back, glad it works :upside_down:

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Ryanm1701

@IamNic the issue reoccured this morning, but I think I found the cause. The issue is occuring when I first go into the Twitch app on the TV, watch some streams, then back out of the Twitch app and load the Youtube app.

I managed to resolve the issue by Force stopping the Twitch app, then I was able to play Youtube videos without any problem.

I also noticed that after I force stopped the Twitch app, I was then able to clear data on the Youtube app, this was greyed out before.

Strange one, but I have uninstalled the Twitch app and will continue to test the Youtube app for a couple of days to see if this has resolved the issue.

profile.country.HU.title
S0unnd

Do you have the new Twitch App installed, and use it? The Twitch app interfere with Youtube and other apps. You have to force close it to be able to watch Youtube after.

profile.country.GB.title
Ryanm1701

@S0unnd  yes, I had the new Twitch app installed. Strange that you have to force stop the app before others will work ok, it must have been an update on the Twitch app that keeps it open in the background as I didnt have this issue until a few days ago.

Tags (2)
profile.country.HU.title
S0unnd

@Ryanm1701   If you are interested there are alternative Twitch apps for Android TV

This is developed by myself:

S0undTV for Twitch

Or:

SmartTV Twitch

profile.country.GB.title
jshears
Explorer

I don't have Twitch installed and my youtube has gone black on my 49XF9005.

I have a Samsung 7 series (has an additional  magic type remote which I love to use) which at the time cost about the same as the Sony, never had to ring them up to report an issue, or had to restore to factory settings, or had lockups and had to power down reset, after this one, I'll not grace my house with another Sony.

I also have a Panasonic Plasma 37" I've had for about 10/12 years, it's been so long I've forgotten, never placed a foot wrong, still an excellent picture and sound.

Disappointed with the sony.

EDIT Downloaded and updated manually now Youtube is working OK again.

profile.country.GB.title
jshears
Explorer

Now that android 10 for tv has been out a year now, but sony has just updated us to android 9 I guess just another year or more to wait for last years update, that's some lag.