Join now - be part of our community!

I WANT MY MONEY BACK - Oreo has ruined my TV

profile.country.GB.title
A.J.Martin
Explorer

I WANT MY MONEY BACK - Oreo has ruined my TV

My Sony Bravia TV wasn't perfect before Oreo, but at least I could watch what I wanted, when I wanted.

You know, turn the TV on and within a second, you could be watching something.

Oh those heady days.  Has Google/Sony partnership decided that we watch too much TV so have collaborated to make it as difficult and frustrating as possible to catch a show?

Like a fool I had my TV set to accept all updates automatically, so got the Oreo update before I knew just how disruptive it was going to be.

After reading various posts, I put my TV through a factory reset and it "improved" the fact that it would freeze randomly and without warning when you, God forbid, changed the channel during the ad break.  Then, it would sit there like a child having a stubborn tantrum for 10 minutes before rebooting, thus making you miss the programme you were trying to watch.  Anyway ... the factory reset improved that "feature".  Now I'm stuck with a TV that randomly removes digital channels, and tells me it's connected, not connected, connected, not connected to the internet.

After reading several more posts, I'm now reconfiguring my router to use IP4 instead of IP6 and static addresses instead of DHCP.  What decade are we in again?  Seriously??  

I feel my TV is no longer fit for purpose and request that Sony refund everyone who is suffering so we can go and buy a bland no name TV that just works.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
A.J.Martin
Explorer

Oh, and did I mention why I was having to reconfigure my router?  To get Chromecast to work.  It used to be ok.  Now I can't use it, because of the flaky internet connection.

Before some clever keyboard warrior tells me to reboot the router, or reset the TV, or turn-it-off-and-on-again.  I used to be a network engineer so kinda know what I'm doing and how the system should be working.  Its foobar!

Every other device on my network sings sweetly enough, its just this piece of Sony rubbish that's letting the side down.  A pretty major flaw in what should be an awesome addition to the living room.

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi A.J.Martin,

That's disconcerting to say the least. I am curious though, are you still getting that "unstable connection" issue after changing your router's configurations? Please share your results with us maybe we can help.

Cheers,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
DonnaNol
Explorer

Is this update as devastating as it used to be in 2019? Hasn't any changes been implied? i was thinking of installing it, however now I'm not sure if I need it to be installed. By the way, knowing all the updates and its specific features, life becomes much easier. That's why I've chosen as a side hustle, the idea of working as an assistant in the online technical store, people usually need help there and they don't realize what exactly they need. It's one of the best side hustles ever because the only thing you need to do is knowing some foreign languages and the ability to analyze and give relevant examples of the products.

Seecol
Explorer

Iam guessing that as we are speaking about a "consumer applience" rather then a PC / other computer syetem Sony, being ultimatly responsabe for both the hardware & software (I presume updates are pushed from a Sony operated server rather then Google) then (in law) Sony has the responsability for rendering your TV unfit for purpose. Not sure where you are but in UK I beleive our consumer rights pepole would have a field day over this