Join now - be part of our community!

VLC and network share

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

VLC and network share

All,

I have a Windows 2012 server which is storing all my movies etc.. on a shared drive which is part of a domain i.e. domain.  

Now when I try to access the share via the VLC TV app I am asked to enter the username and password, but not matter what format i enter I am unable to connect to the share.

I have tried

domain;user

domain\user

domain/user

/user

\user

The share is working fine when I try it from another computer.

Can anyone assisit?  

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately this is a known issue (to me) as I conducted some of my own tests at the begining of this year (2016) - I submitted feedback to a department within Sony in early April - but unfortunately the 10/100Mbps NIC is the case for these TVs.  Hopefully 2017 and beyond has the 10/100/1000Mbps NIC - but nothing can be done for 2016 and earlier TVs.

Gigabit NIC.jpg

aistis
New

Unfortunately, high performance NIC doesn't seem to be able to solve this, as demonstrated with wifi, which is able to push almost 1Gbps. They will also need to put a higher performance CPU/chipset to cope with those packets. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

One would think (hope!) that Sony Engineers would also come to that conclusion too.  :nauseated_face:

But then again, thinking back, the same tests I did was successful via USB drive....

aistis
New

If USB works, then not all is lost. Alternative theory was that VLC and similar are not using full hardware decoding capabilities. Oh well, back to USB then...

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

Hi all,

I recently took a whole load of 4k vidoes using my Sony RX100 IV camera and copied the .mp4 over to my windows server.  No matter what application I use e.g. KODI, VLC the 4k vidoes simply will not play smoothly over my 1GB network using Cat 5e cable to the TV. Is a USB SSD drive my only option left to play these 4k 100m100p mp4 files?

When using Netflix 4k plays fine so I am confused in why I am having these problems.  Is there an official UK Sony support centre I can log a ticket with?

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

Hi again,

In the end I decided to buy a WeTek Play2 Andriod box and this little thing solved all my problems.  I can connect to my Windows share and play all my 4k videos H265 & H264 plus lots of other codecs, KODI 17.1 works pefectly and can also play all my 4k videos.  Everything just works and this little box cost £100.  

I have setup KODI 17.1 on my WeTek Play2 and my Sony XD93 £2000 TV and KODI on my TV is absolutely terrible!! Constantly buffering, freezing and just not something you would expect.

I dont know what Sony are thinking by engineering a TV like this.  For the additional £100 I am very happy now and everything is working.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Moggsterlondon
New

Go into settings and clear data then log in again with just username and password. Worked for me