Join now - be part of our community!

VLC and network share

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

VLC and network share

All,

I have a Windows 2012 server which is storing all my movies etc.. on a shared drive which is part of a domain i.e. domain.  

Now when I try to access the share via the VLC TV app I am asked to enter the username and password, but not matter what format i enter I am unable to connect to the share.

I have tried

domain;user

domain\user

domain/user

/user

\user

The share is working fine when I try it from another computer.

Can anyone assisit?  

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Leaving VLC aside for the time being, are you able to test this via KODI instead? 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

Hi,

Yes, KODI is able to see my network share and I can browse my video files but the playback is terrible.  Videos taken on my iPhone take a while to load and play back is very choppy.  I also have a Vu Solo2 Linux box which has the same drive mapped and plays all my videos fine accept for 4k ones.  I was hoping to use VLC to playback my 4k vidoes.

Any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

Hi again,

I installed ES File Explorer and browsed to my file share.  When selecting my .mp4 I was given the option of using VLC player.  The video didn't play back smoothly, it kept on pausing.  How can I stop this pausing and also any ideas how to use VLC directly with my network share?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

Hi

Still, can't login to my share using VLC.  Can anyone hep?

Thanks

RillDeverill
Explorer

I am having similar problems 4K video taken with my DSLR, won't playback smoothly keeps buffering. Upon investigation, the network traffic is limited to 8MB/s so further investigation suggests that the wired network connection is on 100Mbps so, in theory, I should get 10MB/s.

I am wondering if I can get a Gigabit USB network adaptor that would work increasing the available bandwidth?

That might be your problem as well. The TV can play the file properly over a USB hard drive.

Tom

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

In any case , regarding the sharing problem, the right way to proceed (we are talking about TVs not really computer) is to share multimedia via the DLNA protocol. Don't know if there is any restriction on Windows server compared to Windows, but you should be able to use the feature embedded in Windows (Windows Media Player) or install a dedicated DLNA server like serviio www.serviio.org

profile.country.GB.title
Mick_J

VLC seems to be somewhat of a diminishing app these days. The share login does seem somewhat picky. :slight_smile:

What you could do if comfortable with it is to turn off the need for users in your home network needing to login for access to the public folders. This can be done by going to the Network and Sharing Center program in the Control Panel or via a right click on the network icon in the System Tray. In the Network and Sharing Center click on Change Advanced Sharing Options. In the Home and Work section, untick Password Protected Sharing and save changes. See if that helps.

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

Hi,

I am running a 1GB network and when I play videos through my VU+ Solo2 Linux box (http://vuplus.com/sub/sub0105.php) everything works fine.  This box cannot play 4k so I wanted to use VLC.  With my network setup, I won't be able to let everyone have access to this share.  KODI does connect fine and when you select to playback using VLC media player it works but lots of buffering and freezes. I have tried Archos player and same issue. My VU+ Solo2 box is using Samba and the VLC app on my TV can see that drive and play videos stored on the Solo2.

I think VLC is looking is expecting the username and password in a for a specific format. 

I will post a message in the VLC forum and see what I can find out.

aistis
New

Well, I've tried everything. My initial thoughts after failing to play anything above ~60Mbps of bitrate was the same - Sony saved 5 cents and included a *****ty 100Mbps NIC. So I went and bought a Wifi router supporting 802.11AC, which can push good 800Mbps. TV supports this, however nothing really changed - same buffering issues, only the basic, up to 30Mbps of bitrate, 4K files are rendered properly over the network. 

My bet - the two corw ARM CPU is just too slow to process the network stream. Which is a shame and I will probably return the 3000€ TV back for this reason, unless I find a way to have some NAS over USB working