Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer not working properly - new Bravia KD43XD8305

SOLVED
spater1975
Explorer

BBC iPlayer not working properly - new Bravia KD43XD8305

Just received my new Bravia KD43XD8305BU today.

Love it so far but only gripe is BBC iPlayer is not working properly: the App loads and I can browse through the latest content. However when I try to play content I get a spinning circle after which I get the following message:

"02001: Something went wrong loading this programme. This is usually a temporary problem. You can try this programme again or try a different programme"

All other Apps work fine including 5OD.

I have updated to the latest firmware (PKG6.0514.0001EUA), and also done a factory reset - to no avail.

I have seen other people on this forum suggesting to change the DSN server settings but I cannot find these settings in the Network Settings menu.

Any pointers appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
spater1975
Explorer

My iPlayer is also now working - I did nothing to the settings, seems the issue resolved itself although I've no idea why.

Thanks for all the advice though

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
spater1975
Explorer

Just to add to my earlier email - the BBC News and BBC Sport Apps also do not work, responding the same way as the iPlayer app. Looks like a BBC-related issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

First thing to do is reboot your ISPs router and then ensure that you have a UK based IP Address : www.iplocation.net

In regards to DNS Settings, you must choose 'Manual' when setting up the network connection on the TV. 

Cheers

spater1975
Explorer

Hi - I reboot the router, made no difference.

Re: DNS settings, can you be more specific about the settings option 'path' I need to follow as I can't see any reference to DNS?

When I go in to Network Settings, I can go either 'WiFi' or 'Wired LAN'. I am Wired LAN

Then under Advanced Options I have 2 options:

- 'Proxy Settings' - either 'None' or 'Manual'. (Is this where I need to enter in 8.8.8.8 for Google DNS?)

- 'IP setting - DHCP or Static

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Had to re-do this myself - you are right, its is not quite clear.  However, you were not far away - its under 'IP Settings' and you MUST choose 'Static'.  Then you go through the process of setting a Static IP Address, Gateway, Network Prefix, DNS Servers.

Home > Network Settings > Wired LAN > Advanced Options > IP Settings > Static

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
FeelingOld
Explorer

I have exactly this same problem this evening. IPlayer has been working fine up till today. I can open the Browser on the TV and run iPlayer from the BBC website ... so some issue with the App.

Quite annoying that these apps can fail so easily.

Waiting on a resposne to a possible fix....

profile.country.GB.title
FeelingOld
Explorer

Can I ask please .... by 'Static IP' are you referring to 'Fixed IP' address.  My broadband service provider only provides a fixed IP address to business customers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Both

I have tested iPlayer on my TV - KD-55XD8577 and it works.  I am on firmware version 3.509 as my model hasnt had the Marshmallow update (27th Sept) as of yet.

Sometimes iPlayer has an uncanny knack of not working one day and then works the next.  Please re-test tomorrow and reply back.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FeelingOld wrote:

Can I ask please .... by 'Static IP' are you referring to 'Fixed IP' address.  My broadband service provider only provides a fixed IP address to business customers.

Hi there

That is correct - but you are confusing an external IP address (the one your ISP gives you) to an internal one (which is your network at home).  ISPs can either set a fixed (static) IP address or a dynamic one - most people will have a dymamic IP address - this is the one that changes when you reboot your router.  However, I can set a fixed (static) IP address for devices internal to my network.

For example:

My external IP address is set by my ISP

My Router is fixed to 192.168.1.1

I have DHCP for 192.168.1.2 until 192.168.1.99 (for devices such as mobiles/tablets etc)

My TV is fixed to 192.168.1.100

My Laptop is fixed to 192.168.1.200

Hopefully this explains things

profile.country.GB.title
FeelingOld
Explorer

Hi .... mmmmhhh .... it started working again, without me doing anything a couple of hours after the previous post. Strange. Did not unplug or power-cycle.