Join now - be part of our community!

7% battery - Harmless ??

SOLVED
ReachingPull
Visitor

7% battery - Harmless ??

Hello,

Sorry in advance but I know I'm going to ask a silly question ...
This is my first smartphone (Xperia XZ1 compact), I had a very stupid Nokia phone before ...

I was worried about the difference of battery life ; but eventually I find it rather good. So I'm trying to preserve it ...

I read that you should never go below 10% battery (I even saw some people talking about 15%), because this could damage it ...

Yesterday I reached 7% before reconnecting the phone, so can this affect the battery life or is this harmless ??

I am overthinking obviously but; do I have to exchange the phone for a brand new one (return Amazon...) ??? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Damo_
Contributor

Hi there.

A quick Google will show lots of varying opinion around exactly how you should look after a battery but the general consensus with modern li-ion cells is that the battery fully discharging (or dropping low) won't cause any issues (and certainly wouldn't make it faulty as this would be a major design flaw). I'd suggest going into the battery care section in the settings for more info but no you certainly don't have to return the device to Amazon. Many would argue that charging right at the last moment is actually good as you getting full use out of the previous charge cycle Slightly_smiling_Face

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Damo_
Contributor

Hi there.

A quick Google will show lots of varying opinion around exactly how you should look after a battery but the general consensus with modern li-ion cells is that the battery fully discharging (or dropping low) won't cause any issues (and certainly wouldn't make it faulty as this would be a major design flaw). I'd suggest going into the battery care section in the settings for more info but no you certainly don't have to return the device to Amazon. Many would argue that charging right at the last moment is actually good as you getting full use out of the previous charge cycle Slightly_smiling_Face

ReachingPull
Visitor

Ok and last question (promise !), incompletes charges (like stoped at 70 %) are harmless too ?

profile.country.PT.title
NunoSEN2
Hero

Hi @ReachingPull;

With nowadays technology and software help to charging methods you can charge the battery to any percentage you want and you will not damage it. 

ReachingPull
Visitor

Thanks !

profile.country.GB.title
manishere123
Explorer

assd
profile.country.GB.title
Simos68
Explorer

I regularly let my XZ3 go nearly flat and I've never had any problems, but if you keep plugging it into the charger when it's says 70% or something, you may cause damage to the battery.

I've been buying Sony phones for the last 30 years and have seldom had any issues, I hope this will help you.

profile.country.GB.title
Preytheon

As far as I understand it, fully discharging a battery on the odd occasion will do it no harm (it's not a lead-acid!), likewise the with partial charges that used to kill mobile batteries from 15-20yrs ago....

The only activity that I've been told to avoid is keeping it on charge when at 100% or repeatedly re-charging it up to 100% from very high percentages (i.e. >95%).

Sony has built-in protection against this (overnight "Battery Care" charging), which times the charging to only complete just before your normal wake up times.

I do also make a note of when I'm running it on SatNav (normally plugged in)..... that for really long journeys, I will sometimes run it on battery, then charge it.... but can be slightly risky if you arrive at a day out (Longleat/Alton Tower, etc) and no battery, so wise to set an alarm for ~1hr before you are due to arrive - that's roughly how long my car fast-charger takes to get the battery from 0% to >95%, assuming some further drain for Waze+music, etc along the way. Usual story: up to ~60% REALLY fast, ~80% still seems fast-ish and then trickles the last 20% in....