Join now - be part of our community!

WF-1000x 1.0.7 firmware: VERY frequent drops on right earpiece

profile.country.GB.title
graaskov84

WF-1000x 1.0.7 firmware: VERY frequent drops on right earpiece

Hey all.

I've had my WF-1000x for some time now.

After updating to the 1.0.7 firmware (updated from 1.0.6) i am experiencing a HUGE amount of cut-off/sound skipping on the right earpiece. The connection to the left earpiece is rock solid.

I have tried ALL that i can think off, to remedy the problem:

Resetting product, disconnecting it, unpair, repair using app, swithching to SBC codes etc etc etc.... nothing works 😞

To provide some information on the problem:

• Sound skipping on 1.0.6: maybe a couple of times per day, with a total amount of listening around 6 hours.
  • Sound skipping on 1.0.7: at least once per song (so every four minutes).

This is absolutely ridiculous, and has made me go from being very satisfied with the product, to being ***** of at Sony for making such a bad firmware (that you can't even downgrade, for whatever reason!). It has made these headphones so unenjoyable to use...

If i were to guess, i think Sony reduced the latency/buffering on 1.0.7, which is resulting in the frequent drops.

If my memory serves me correctly, i think 1.0.6 had more latency/buffering. If Sony changed this, makes no sence at all. The latency is still way to much for wathing video in sync with the audio.

Am i the only one having this problem?

Perhaps my headphones are simply defective?

Daniel

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

anderslien schrieb:

I am using an iphone 7 with newest software and playing music on spotify and podcasts. Happens on bouth. 

Same issue indoors and outdoors. Got a lot worse after updating to latest software from sony. 

Hi @anderslien,

the support told me the follwing:

the case was escalated and is under investigation with a reply expected as soon as possible.

I know I am asking a lot from you, yet could you please switch back and forth between "priority" and "reliable" mode a few times in a row and report back if it improves anything?

It would help the support to identify the issue faster.

- Nic

profile.country.NO.title
anderslien
New

I tried changing a lot between priority and stable and it did not help. I also experienced a strange sound in the right earpiece today. I had to change from stable to priority and back again to get rid of it. 

I am experiencing them a lot unstable when I am moving around. Not much, but just tipping my head or walking a little bit. When I am sitting completely still they are mostly stable but drops out a lot in the beginning and a few times after that. 

profile.country.GB.title
graaskov84

Devise information:

iPhone 6s on newest firmware.

I use mostly Spotify for music playback.

Occurence: Indoor and outdoor - makes no difference.

I have just reset the headphones and switched between "priority" and "reliable" mode a few times in a row.
Will test these next couple of days, to see if it makes any difference.

I don't suspect it will though... i have reset the headphones before and also switched between the modes before with no effect to the dropping sound.

profile.country.GB.title
graaskov84

Well... that didn't make any difference.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @graaskov84 and @anderslien,

the Support told me, that there is currently no solution, yet they forwarded it to the software developers.

Sadly there isn't anything we all can do currently 😞

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
graaskov84

Hi Nic.

What does that mean?

Are they aware of whats causing the issue, and actively trying to fix that?

Or do they think that this is just some special case, that they won't be able to do something about?

I would like to know, because i am returning these under warranty, if it's the second one. I might even do that, if it is the first one - can be months before a new firmware is released.

And there is a solution: make it possible to downgrade the firmware. I don't se ANY reason why this shouldn't be an option.

Daniel

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

graaskov84 schrieb:

Hi Nic.

Are they aware of whats causing the issue, and actively trying to fix that?

It does sound like that to me, yet since I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, I can't tell you how long it will take the developers to fix this issue.

So if you want to hear my honest opinion - since the possibility exists, that it is a technical defect, you could exchange the product first and if it still happens with the new unit it would be the best to then return your headphones while you still can and buy them later when you know the issue is fixed.

Or even buy the WF-SP700N instead (when no one experiences the same issue after they are released).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
graaskov84

Update: I am now fed up with the constant sound skipping (it goet EVEN WORSE after updating to 2.0.0 - WOW Sony!).

I have startet a warrenty-case at the place i bought these - hopefully i will get a refund, so i don't have to use this faulty product ever again.

profile.country.GB.title
davlorde

@graaskov84 wrote:

Update: I am now fed up with the constant sound skipping (it goet EVEN WORSE after updating to 2.0.0 - WOW Sony!).

That's odd - I found that the 2.0.0 update fixed the skipping/disconnect occurrences almost completely - now they happen rarely and are hardly noticeable (Android 8.0). 

profile.country.GB.title
graaskov84

I guess iOS and Android uses diffent codecs/connection methods. Perhaps Android handles the bluetooth connection in a way that suits these earbuds better.
But i'm just guessing here...

They certanly suck on my iOS devises, thats for sure (after 1.0.7+ firmware updates).