Join now - be part of our community!

Will CLIE ever support Pocket PC?

dino_jr
Visitor

Will CLIE ever support Pocket PC?

I would love to buy a CLIE, but it is a PALM based device. Do you think Sony will ever release a CLIE with Pocket PC 2002 instead? A friend has a Toshiba PDA with this, and I find it easier to use than PALM.....

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I have no idea if they will ever go to Pocket PC, but in my opinion, Sony will probably stick with PalmOS, because they probably have an agreed contract, and the OS maybe easier to modify for their uses. PalmOS is ok, but it can't run things like PocketWord, which imo is nothing special anyway. All really depends on what you need it for and what you want to do with it. The Clie looks really nice, but theres still a bit to go with PDAs in my eyes.

nest_4u
Visitor

Hi Dino-jr

Check out the new released CLIE NX70V. This top of the range CLIE has the latest Palm OS5. Ive had a chance to work with one for a while, and let me tell you, they are so great to work with. To me, the OS5 is the easiest operating system ive seen so far on PDA's :smileygrin: . You can totally personalise it, etc. On this particular CLIE you have the possibility to insert a wireless lan card and you are surfing the net where ever and when ever you want. Well worth considering! [*-:smileyhappy:]

Keep me posted!!

Nest. :cool:

tnook
Visitor

HI,

I used to have a NV70 but gave up on it for a couple reasons. I couldn't get used to Palm OS, ok it was pre v5.0 and at work we are stuck on Win NT4.0, Sony wouldn't supply a NT USB driver so couldn't sync with my PC at work.

The other issue was the casing was so fragile, the paint on the plastic trim aroung the hinges wore out within a month and the cover got scratched easily. I noticed the NX70 had a new surface which looked more scratch resistant though.

Alas I am stuck with an iPAQ for the time being, but do would snap up a Pocket PC Clie if they ever made one.

Lot's of noise,
Kevin

Cliéguru
Visitor

The point concerning Win NT is that this OS doesn't support USB at all. This is not a Clié issue. The workaround is tu buy a serial cable, and it should work fine.

iainjturner
Visitor

Clie should support Pocket PC, or at least offer an option for it, since Sony market their devices as multimedia machines, and Pocket PC offers much more multimedia capability than Palm OS.

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

What can you do on Pocket PC that you can't do on Palm V5?