Join now - be part of our community!

RX406 Installation of second hard drive

Third_magpie
Visitor

RX406 Installation of second hard drive

I have an RX406 and I was wondering what would be the most suitable way of installing a second hard drive. I opened the Unit up and there didn't seem to be any spare slots to just fit one in???

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Are you sure there isn't any more room?

The only suggestion I can make is getting an IDE controller card thet slots into the PCI slot on your PC, then you plug in the hard disk into that card.

William
Visitor

I have have never seen a Sony desktop in the flesh but in general there will be two IDE channels each supporting two IDE drives.

It is likely that your existing hard drive will be connected by a ribbon cable to one channel. Your CD rom (DVD?) drive will be connected by a second ribbon cable to the other channel.

In theory there should be a second unused connector on each ribbon cable. You should be able to the connect the extra hard drive as a slave on the same cable as the existing hard drive (master).

However, if as you say there is physically no room internally you will have to get an external drive.

My elderly P3 450 desktop which I use as a home network server with two printers attached contains an internal SCSI card which runs an internal SCSI CD writer and an internal SCSI CD ROM. It also contains an internal IDE CD ROM, an internal IDE DVD ROM and two IDE drives. A total of six drives which all coexist quite happily.

Regards,

William

kee-lo_

Sounds like a good network server william :slight_smile:

stevep-4
Visitor

On the RX405, there is a spare slot for a hard drive beside the C drive. If you open the computer, the hard drive is directly behind the On/Off button. The hard drive is mounted virtically, and is not a horizontally mounted drive (such as the DvD and floppy drive bays) .

There is sliding lever under the drive box. pull this down and the drive box can be removed, allowing you to secure the new drive into the drive box with screws.

You will also find that the power supply is also held in in a similar fashoin. and can be easily moved out of the way, allowing access to the motherboards and memory slots.

I did take a phot, but I don't think we can load a photo into this forum

kee-lo_

Yeah, you may put a pic in but it can't be too large, if it is make a direct link otherwise use :

stevep-4
Visitor

The photo is on my computer, not on a website. (so it doesn't have a URL).

So How do I upload then??

kee-lo_

You'll need your own personal webspace to do that. Try somewhere like Tripod if you don't have any with your own ISP.