Join now - be part of our community!

Refresher rates for Flat Screen Monitors

AmerKhalil
Visitor

Refresher rates for Flat Screen Monitors

I recently brought a Sony Desktop Vaio and a flat screen monitor. Its default setting is 60mhz for refresher rate as per WIndows XP default. Can I adjust this to higher level or could this haerm the monitor?

Thanks for any help

Amer Khalil

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You can do it by right clicking anywhere on the desktop, and left clicking on properties. You then click on the settings tab, and click on a button named advanced. There you click on the monitor tab, then change the refresh rate to what you find easy to see,

William
Visitor

I was under the impression that TFT screeens were totally flicker free at any refresh rate, so perhaps this is why it is set on the default XP setting.

William

chuckalicious
Visitor

TFTs as far as I know only run at 60Hz, because that's all they need to run at. You would notice no difference at all upping the refresh rate, if you could, because they don't work in the same was as CRTs, and so don't produce flicker

William
Visitor

I have just read the original post again - It does say flat screen "monitor". [*-:smileyhappy:]

Is it TFT or a flat screen monitor :smileyconfused::

chuckalicious
Visitor

a TFT is a flat screen monitor, it's just the technical name for it :slight_smile:

robpaxton
Explorer

A flat screen monitor can be TFT or CRT. But a TFT must be a flat screen - a CRT ain't necessarily so :wink:

If the screen is a TFT then leave the refresh rate at 60Hz. If the screen is a CRT then load the approprate monitor inf and turn the refresh rate up.

kee-lo_

I normally use 75 on a CRT.

robpaxton
Explorer

On the big CRT CAD monitor at work I use 120Hz. Higher is normally better if your CRT can take the strain.

kee-lo_

Yeah - you need less flicker.