Join now - be part of our community!

"Network Cable Unplugged" - RX405

Dan58
Visitor

"Network Cable Unplugged" - RX405

I have a RX405 and would like to set up a home network between the VAIO running windows XP and another computer operating windows 98. However when i try to connect the two using a RJ45 ethernet cable i get the message "network cable unplugged" under the local area connection. The 1394 connection is fine but whatever i try i cannot get rid of the error message for the local area connection. I am beginning to doubt i have the cable plugged into the right port because i cannot find another explanation. Can anyone give me any help on the subject? Thanks

Dan

5 REPLIES 5
EzDoezIt
Visitor

As far as 1394 is concerned, the plug is very specific, so you cannot plug it into an incorrect port.

As far as RJ45 is concerned, if you are hooking the two computers up directly to each other then you need a "crossover" cable. Ask your local electronics store for one, they will know what it is.

Dan58
Visitor

Does this crossover cable have the same plugs as the RJ45? Is my RJ45 of any use to me at all because this was what i was told to purchase in order to set up my network.

Dan

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

The plugs on the crossover cable are exactly the same. The only difference is the way they are wired.

Regards, Rob

stevep-4
Visitor

Hello, I had this exact same problem. Using a RX405 running xP and a sony laptop PCG-X9 running win98. All I wanted to do was share files (and back up my "D" drive files)

The cable which comes with your ethernet card or whoever supplied it is "straight". This cable would be ok of you connected each computer to a HUB. However, as you are connecting direct, you need either a crossover cable, or a little plug which does the same job.
Set up the network on the RX405, and make the network disk (I found it worked better if I saved this program to a memorystick).

then use the network program on the laptop. You will probably have to restart to get it working, but the network should be up and running then.

You will then have a common directory called "shared documents" (look in c:\mydocuments\shared documents).

iainjturner
Visitor

Does this crossover cable have the same plugs as the RJ45? Is my RJ45 of any use to me at all because this was what i was told to purchase in order to set up my network.

Dan

Crossover cables have a little 'X' on the plugs.Your existing cable is only of any use if you use a router to connect the two computers, which is not worth it. Your might as well just set up a crossover connection, the cables cost peanuts (not literally :wink: )