Join now - be part of our community!

Mouse - Middle Button

stevep-4
Visitor

Mouse - Middle Button

Is it possible to set the middle button (the whel) to activate the "Back" button in internet explorer? The only options I can see (in WinXP) is to change te mouse between left and right handed.
Standard sony mouse, as supplied with RX405

3 REPLIES 3
dogscoff
Visitor

I don't know about the middle button, but I can recommend one or both of the following:

Download and install opera ( http://www.opera.com ) and use it instead of IE. It's smaller, faster, more configurable and it has gesture recognition: To go back you just hold down a mouse button and draw and right-to-left line. It's very intuitive when you get used to it. Oh, it's also freeware.

If you want gesture recognition without changing your browser, go to Argos (Yes, Argos) and spend 30 quid on one of the USB graphics tablets they are flogging. It's a great bit of kit for the price, and it has gesture recognition for all windows programs (draw a line up to copy, down to paste, draw an X to close a program, an M to send mail...).
It's small (about a6), but it is pressure sensitive so it's pretty good for graphics. I am very pleased with mine. The only thing is that it sometimes seems to cause wierd mouse problems when I go online.

www.p-active.com - I think it's the XP-5540A. Like I say, they are selling these things for 30 quid in Argos=-)

stevep-4
Visitor

I bought a Lgitech MX-700 mouse instead. This mouse is specifically designed for web browsing, with additional buttons for forward / back within a page, scroll buttons (as well as the wheel).

why don't mouse manufacturers put the sensor under the fingertips, instead of under the palm. This would greatly improve the control and feel......just a thought.

iainjturner
Visitor

On most VAIO notebooks you can set the gesturing up on the touchpad, so if you draw a line with your finger in the top right of the touchpad it will go back/forwards. Not much use to you though since you have a desktop, but just a thought. :thinking: