Join now - be part of our community!

Operating System Not Found!!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Nick2012
Visitor

Operating System Not Found!!

I am using a Sony Vaio VPCEFE3E1E. Since this morning when my laptop randomly started playing up, everytime i reboot my computer i get the Vaio logo brielfy then a black screen and with the text 'Operating System Not Found'. Everytime i push a button this text just repeats itself. I havent changed anything on my computer recently and I have no viruses that i know of. This randomly happened today when i was watching a youtube video and it crashed. I also dont have any recovery discs!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Nick2012 and welcome.

No need for me to say that the first thing you should do when you get a new Vaio is to burn a set of Recovery Discs.  Vaio Care should have reminded you to do this.  Hard Drives are still prone to knocks and vibration.

The usual cause for 'Operating System not found' is a Hard Drive failure - but it could also be caused by corrupted Master Boot Records or corrupted Windows System software.

First check if your Hard Drive is still recognised by the BIOS.  During startup - when you see the Vaio Logo briefly - press F2 repeatedly before the Vaio Logo disappears.  This should open the BIOS screen.  Scroll through this and see if the HDD is recognised or (and we hope not) if it says HDD not found.

If it says HDD not found then you will need to a new hard drive.  Is your Vaio still within warranty?  If yes, phone Vaio Support.  If no, you will need to buy and install a new hard drive and you will also need to but a legal copy of Windows to install.  As you did not make Recovery Discs, if you want all the preinstalled software (including Windows), you will have to buy a replacement Recovery disc set from Vaio Support - about £60.  Alternatively, you can buy your own version of Windows and install the basic drivers and utilities from the support website - you will lose any other preinstalled programs.

If the BIOS still shows the HDD as being recognised it may be possible to repair any corrupted files.  Have a look at the Troubleshooting and Recovery Guide for your model here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/RecoTS/2010Q3_TRG_EN.pdf

If your Vaio will still boot from the DVD/CD drive, you may be able to download a rescue disc from here: -

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

Come back if you need further advice.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Nick2012 and welcome.

No need for me to say that the first thing you should do when you get a new Vaio is to burn a set of Recovery Discs.  Vaio Care should have reminded you to do this.  Hard Drives are still prone to knocks and vibration.

The usual cause for 'Operating System not found' is a Hard Drive failure - but it could also be caused by corrupted Master Boot Records or corrupted Windows System software.

First check if your Hard Drive is still recognised by the BIOS.  During startup - when you see the Vaio Logo briefly - press F2 repeatedly before the Vaio Logo disappears.  This should open the BIOS screen.  Scroll through this and see if the HDD is recognised or (and we hope not) if it says HDD not found.

If it says HDD not found then you will need to a new hard drive.  Is your Vaio still within warranty?  If yes, phone Vaio Support.  If no, you will need to buy and install a new hard drive and you will also need to but a legal copy of Windows to install.  As you did not make Recovery Discs, if you want all the preinstalled software (including Windows), you will have to buy a replacement Recovery disc set from Vaio Support - about £60.  Alternatively, you can buy your own version of Windows and install the basic drivers and utilities from the support website - you will lose any other preinstalled programs.

If the BIOS still shows the HDD as being recognised it may be possible to repair any corrupted files.  Have a look at the Troubleshooting and Recovery Guide for your model here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/RecoTS/2010Q3_TRG_EN.pdf

If your Vaio will still boot from the DVD/CD drive, you may be able to download a rescue disc from here: -

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

Come back if you need further advice.

:thinking:

profile.country.uk_UA.title
wolfstin
Visitor

This error can be fixed with Emergency Boot CD (Mount & Boot Center).

This is a tool to easily edit boot menus, fix boot records and active partition flags, reassign and fix missing drive letters (mount points), change disk signatures and GUIDs, etc.

How to fix "Operating System not found":

http://www.prime-expert.com/articles/b11/fix-operating-system-not-found.php

profile.country.it_IT.title
gioxxl
Visitor

I had the same message ... when rebooting whith a non-bootable USB memory plugged-in!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
LukePeerless
Visitor

can I buy a serial ata hdd 320gb with full recovery from the Sony website if so can you direct me too it.

I replaced hard disk and it says sistem not found