Join now - be part of our community!

Opening word 2000 crashes my PC, not even shutdown works!

profile.country.en_GB.title
zero5uk
Explorer

Opening word 2000 crashes my PC, not even shutdown works!

Everytime i open Word 2000 i get an error message appear immediately saying:

Winword has caused an error in winword.exe, winword will now close.

When i hit close, another box comes up the same as above but with kernell32.dll instead of winword.exe. After hitting close on that the whole computer wont shutdown as it cant close word and i have to turn it off at the reset button.

Ive done a clean installation of word but no luck as yet.

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
Snipes
Visitor

Kernel32.dll is the 32-bit dynamic link library of the operating system kernel. Kernel32.dll handles memory management, input/output operations, and interrupts. When Windows boots up, Kernel32.dll is loaded into a protected memory space.

This error occurs when an application tries to access kernel32.dll's protected memory space. It may be one particular program or application, or multiple files and applications.

Also, this error may be caused by faulty hardware (bad memory modules, device drivers, etc.)

In short its not your WORD 2000,

Try inserting the command DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:ON into your CONFIG.SYS file with the System Editing utility and watch your computer for a message HIMEM has detected unreliable memory at address xxxxxxxxx which will certainly indicate that there is a memory problem. It may take several reboots over a period of days for this to show up. You can also download diagnostic software from AMI, or DocMemory from SIMMTESTER.COM, to test your systems memory. The site is very useful!,or you can go this web site to download the tool,
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?kernel32

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi,

Wasn;t there a virus called similar to Kermel32.dll? Maybe a quick scan over the hard disk.

As for Word, I would reinstall. If that doesn't solve it then I would do that memory test Snipes suggested.