Join now - be part of our community!

CPU Fan not working?

StevenF
Visitor

CPU Fan not working?

Hi

I have a Vaio RS226.

I have just run Sisoft Sandra 2004 on it and it say the CPU Fan may not be working.

Does anyone know if it is a variable speed fan on the Viao's, as this may give the false reading that it is not working.

Otherwise, how easy is it to fit a new fan?

Thanks for any help you can give

S

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi

Can you hear the fans running? Can you see them all turning? If you do, I wouldn't worry. If not, then you'd have to replace one. It's quite simple, but I'm not sure if they're motor driven, as they are variable speed.

StevenF
Visitor

I can't hear anything from the outside, are they quite loud?

kee-lo_

Depends on CPU usage.
Run a game / screensaver for a fre minutes, they should get louder. If not, stop the game/screensaver.

StevenF
Visitor

I've noticed a noise a couple of times in the past, I thought it may be the CD player running up (althought I don't know why as I didn't request it to) would the fan sound like that?

kee-lo_

Erm, only when it's fully spinning does it sound a bit like a fan.
Wow, it must be cool to have a desktop so quiet.

StevenF
Visitor

Thats what I thought at first, but if its realy not working I guess it cause some damage ?

kee-lo_

It can be damage or dirt.
I would taje a panel off to check if anything is turning.

StevenF
Visitor

Well I've opened the back and the fan DOES seem to be spinning. So I guess Sisoft Sandra has got it wrong.

One quick question though, Looking from the side, at the front of the PC I see
DVD Writer
CD Plater
Hard Drive
the next thing is sitting verticaly (not horizontaly like the items mentioned above) and against the front of the casing. Can you tell me what that might be? It has a power cable (P7) and a dark grey ribon cable connected to it.

Thanks for all your help.

Steven

monkey
Visitor

it would be helpfull if you could post a pic, or give some details on the object such as whats wrote on its label. It could be another hard disk.

Right click on my computer and then choose properties and then the Hardware tab and click on the button labled Device manager, from here you can see all the hardware and that mysteriouse box you have will or should be listed here. Check under disk drives in the device manager to see if its a hard drive :slight_smile:

Hope this helps

S.