Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDLW4000. Why my tv locks on digital channel and cannot change channel

profile.country.el_GR.title
Koztaz
Visitor

Sony KDLW4000. Why my tv locks on digital channel and cannot change channel

Sony 32KDLW4000. TV locks on a digital channel and cannot switch channel either with remote or tv button. Finally it switches by itself to the previous channel it was. This happens usually on certain channels only.

Have tried to switch the tv on and off and it only works if i leave it off for some minutes. When the problem occurs the other channels seem to work, it only locks when you try to select the 'faulty' channel.

I guess it cannot be the specific channel as now it is 2 of them that get this problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

7 REPLIES 7
sokiskata
Visitor

Hello,

I'd like to confirm this ( firmware bug I hope). I think face the same problem on this model: TV often becomes unresponsive (black screen) after switching to a specific digital channel, and randomly goes back to normal after repeatedly switching it off and on again.

I have noticed some additional weird behaviour due to this bug(?). Rarely, I get a sudden and really loud electronic noise while it's stuck on a channel, and sometimes when I restart it I get a language select screen as if it's setting up for the first time. It remembers my settings once I restart it.

Is this a known issue? Thank you for any guidance.

Koztaz
Visitor

Do you know if this is a bug and whether sony will fix it fir free?

My tv is out of guarantee.

Thanks

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I too have a KDL32W4000 and never had a freeze in 4 years, but I have to say that in Italy we have very few HD channels, at least free to air...

Which version of fw do you have? Mine is EN-PX-BE-C.T.PV-A.CY.T

profile.country.en_GB.title
nayan007
Visitor

It is possible that it is a bug or else may be due to problem from the service provider. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

sokiskata
Visitor

Sorry for the late response, I had lost track of this thread.

rooobb wrote:

I too have a KDL32W4000 and never had a freeze in 4 years, but I have to say that in Italy we have very few HD channels, at least free to air...

Which version of fw do you have? Mine is EN-PX-BE-C.T.PV-A.CY.T

It's not about HD channels here in greece there's only 1 HD if I'm not mistaken and never had any problems while on it.

This problem occurs when I switch my TV to receive digital signals in general, and on specific channels.

(Greece is currently on a transition phase where most traditional analog channels also broadcast in digital)

Firmware is: B.D - DZ - K - C.T.FT - A.CY.T

On topic:

So far it had been only 1 channel, but just yesterday I got this on a second, like OP describes.

A service problem seems unlikely since my second TV(different brand) has no trouble on these channels at all.

The above raise my initial suspicions of it being a firmware bug, and thus relatively easy to fix.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just out of curiosity: which firmware version are you looking at? The one I wrote was the digital tuner, my fw version for the product is E.N-FA-Q-C.T.PV-A.CY.T. Unfortunately I don't remember the way to translate the characters in the version number in order to verify that mine is newer.

In any case the version that I have is not an offcially released, since I got it in from sony service due to HMDI synchronization problem, but it is in any case newer (it should be one year old if I remember well) and workd quite fine. If your problem happens frequently, it may worth to pay some 30 EUR in order to have it installed (you cannot do it by yourself, even if you may find the firmware in the internet and the procedure to install it via the service port)

profile.country.hr_HR.title
DamacizSi
Visitor

Disconect all, cable and porwer for more than half hour, after that plug in first coaxial cable in RF and after that in power. In auto start up select quick scan on very same option, you should see option just free chanals. Let it run, scan of programs. It should solve your issue. I prosume You have download latest FW update all ready.

R

Damac

:slight_smile: