Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia Power Usage

profile.country.en_GB.title
jasyk34
Visitor

Sony Bravia Power Usage

I just noticed that even when my Sony Bravia KDL40CX523 is switched off using the on/off button on the TV that it is still drawing 15 watts of power. Is this normal ? I expected it to draw some power when in standby but not when it is switched off. I checked the power usage in standby and it was also 15 watts, so it seems that it doesn't matter if it is in standby or switched off as it uses the same amount of electricity.

Anyone else noticed this ? Surely this can't be right. I thought that if I turned it off using the on/off button on the TV that it shouldn't be drawing any power but this is not the case with my TV.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

The specification says that it should only use 0.25 watts in standby. This might be affected if you have devices connected to the TV withdrawing power from it or if you have programmed some recording. The 0 power consumption can only be achieve if your TV has an Energy Saving Switch that removes all input of electricity from the TV, it seems that the power button that you used is the standby equivalent in the remote. Devices like TV’s and computers will always withdraw power even when off. Components that might be in the power board or power supply unit will always use electricity as long as they are connected to the mains.

Check that the meter is ok and that the display unit is indeed Watt and not milliwatt.

profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

The only way to avoid drawing any power when the set doesn't have an on/off button is to turn off at the mains socket.

profile.country.en_GB.title
jasyk34
Visitor

I could live with it drawing the specified 0.25 watts in standby but it is definitely not drawing anywhere near that. I checked the meter with other devices and they are reporting expected values. The only things I have connected to the TV are a network cable for internet but I removed this to do the test. The other things plugged in are my Humax 9200T freeview recorded plugged into AV1 via scart and the TV aerial into the TV. I will check to see if removing the humax box does anything but can't see why it should make any difference ?

I don't schedule recordings on the TV either so that shouldn't be an issue.

UPDATE 24/02/2012

I removed everything from the back of the TV and it is still drawing 14-15watts in standby. I have also checked the settings on the TV and disabled things like the auto update but this makes no difference either. Will have to contact sony support to see if they know of any reason for this.

Message was edited by: jasyk34

Message was edited by: jasyk34