Join now - be part of our community!

problems with kdl 46w 4500

profile.country.en_GB.title
chelsea2012
Visitor

problems with kdl 46w 4500

My mother is having a nightmare dealing with Sony over the problems she has with her bravia kdl 46w 4500.  The television is just over 2 1/2 years old and has recently developed the vertical lines and very distorted picture that others have reported.  Sony customer services in Egypt asked her to provide proof of the extended warranty to instigate some sort of resolution to the problem but unfortunately, the UK Sony customer services are refusing to sort this problem out.  Sony say that they never received the warranty form but she did send it off and provided copies of the receipt and the form she sent at the time of purchase.  It was around Christmas time and post is often lost, so we can only assume it didn't reach them.  I am disgusted by their attitude and lack of concern for customers.  We are getting legal advice on this but I would really appreciate any comments from anyone who may have had similar problems. 

7 REPLIES 7
Bravia55HX

Hi,

very unfortunate that the warranty has been somewhat lost, the dealer should have told you once the details had been completed and for something as important as this it must be sent by registered post to ensure it reaches its destination, alarm bells should have sounded around one month after sending this if you had not recieved your warranty documents, it really is unfortunate its taken 2 1/2 years to realise this.

you could of coarse plead to Sony but any extended warranties do require the nessessary paperwork to assist any claims and since you dont have these you may very well be on your own!.

tlightfoot
Visitor

Hi,

Had a problem with my TV picture. It was out of warranty, & therefore I had no joy from Sony when I phoned. I took it to an independant TV repair shop, obtained a written report, I submitted this written report to Sony, along with reference to the 'Sale of Goods Act 1979 in my letter', which I understand places a duty on the manufacture that the goods must be "fit for purpose" (it was suggested to me 7 years for a TV). Sony repsonded, with address of local repair centre and advised that the repair would be free. Total cost to me - independant written report £30. Took a few weeks to repair.

Bravia55HX

Hi,

tlightfoot offers a very valid and solid point and well worth persueing, i apologise as i was aware of this and failed to mention it.

chelsea2012
Visitor

Thanks for the advice.  I have had similar advice from a solicitor but to pursue the retailer.  I would rather Sony take responsibility as they manufactured a faulty TV.  Best wishes

chelsea2012
Visitor

Thanks - I think it will be a long, drawn-out battle.  I'm so angry as the TV was so expensive and once warmed up, it has a great picture!  Am I right in thinking Sony have stopped manufacturing tvs?  Which could explain their apathy regarding customer service.  Maybe their apathy towards customers is why they're losing money!  I know I won't ever be buying Sony again!  best wishes

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

your solicitor is correct in persueing the retailer, i believe if you look up the sale of goods act its mentioned there!,

good luck with it all.

chelsea2012
Visitor

Update - Someone from this forum promised to escalate this problem for me but has now told me that warranty registering is customer problem!  I'm appalled by Sony - this is their response after several weeks of promising one thing and not coming up with a solution.  Luckily my friend is a solicitor has has found 3 pieces of legislation that protects customers in this situation.  Sadly this will become a long, drawn out legal battle but one thing is for sure, no one in this family will ever go near Sony again.  My father would only ever buy Sony because of its reputation for quality - £1300 tv that doesn't last 3 years! Quality - a joke and customer service - don't Sony care about customers at all????  Fortunately, the cost of the tv provides a very strong case and when we take Sony to court the solicitor said that the high price reflect the customer expectation that the tv should last more than 3 years.  Of course if it was a £200 tv, we wouldn't have so much of a case and we then look at 'contracts'.  SONY, BE ASHAMED!!!