Join now - be part of our community!

Not happy with Sony kdl55Hx923

profile.country.en_GB.title
naskhan36
Visitor

Not happy with Sony kdl55Hx923

I did buy the kdl55 hx923 in December 2011, and after two months I have realised that there is a slight buzzing noise at the back panel and when switched of there is ticking noise and I think some capacitors are discharging, even though the noise is faint, and not bothering me, I decided to report the problem and fix it as if ignored the problem might get worse.

An engineer will come around and install a new power board, meaning that he has to open the tv set which I am not happy with, the whole idea of buying a new tv set is to enjoy the set for couple of years without any hassle, and after spending £2500 why should I put with all this hassle, sony should replace the set and not try to fix it, after all it is a high end tv set.

I had an LCD tv with no problems, I do give credit to  Sony, but this time I am really disappointed, I don't really like my new tv set opened and fiddled with, I would never buy a Sony product again.

9 REPLIES 9
Batfinkk

But you'd have someone lift the bonnet on your car and replace a spark plug or whatever, surely you wouldn't expect a new car if something failed and was replaced in the first year. This is hardly any different and the very reason you have a warranty in place....No great shakes fella!

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Batfinkk wrote:

But you'd have someone lift the bonnet on your car and replace a spark plug or whatever, surely you wouldn't expect a new car if something failed and was replaced in the first year. This is hardly any different and the very reason you have a warranty in place....No great shakes fella!

It is like comparing pairs with apples. I can perfectly see naskhan’s point of view. We are talking about a flagship TV from a premium brand. If you buy a first class ticket in a plane and your seat is not comfortable would you be happy just to take an extra pillow? I am sure you would demand a new premium seat that you paid for.

Naskhan check this thread https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/742006

Are you sure that the board is faulty?

naskhan36
Visitor

I called the repair center they said that the problem has been reported several times and it is the power supply that causing this noise, needs to be changed, shame Sony did not test such a nigh end tv before launching it, Sony should return these sets instead of fixing them, its only two month old set, what a waist of time,

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

I totally understand you. I bought the 65HX923 and since the very beginning it has a dark line in the very centre of the screen and two lines slightly to right that create a whiter band.  I call Sony Support who denied any knowledge of any problems and told me that my TV is within specification. Eventually they said that the panel needs replacement. I was told it that it should be replaced since panels are not something that they replace but have not seen any solution yet.

Batfinkk

Er not really - a flight is a service and intangible, a TV is a tangible product so comparing a flight and TV is flawed from the off..

Sure its frustrating, but do you really think one faulty invertor two months after purchase means your TV wasn't tested at manufacture, and every other TV should be recalled? No its just unfortunate that you had part that failed, but this is why you have a warranty..

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

It is not that flawed from the off as you might think. I am paying for a premium brand. I am paying extra for something that it is not just a tangible product. I did not buy an Alba tele. I could have bought a very similar TV in specifications from a competitor which I decided against for the weight that the Sony names carries. In my plane case is not that much different, I expect to get the service, going from A to B but I also expect to get tangible things like a more comfortable seat, more space, better selection of food and drinks among other things.

We all know that opening electronic devices is not common practice. I would love to look inside my TV but that is a no go area. I will understand that the odd TV might be faulty but it shouldn’t, especially in Premium Flagship TV’s. The whole idea of paying extra is that one would get extra high quality components. I know that Sony will not reveal, nor I will ask, how many TV’s are having problems but it seems that is not just the odd one.

I do see the logic in what you say, about a single small component failing. However it used to be the case that you could not find a faulty Sony TV. People used to bank on the idea that a Sony was one of the most reliable brands, if not the most.

I would tend to side with the fellow customer because I am there as well. The service and attention I have got from Sony Support have been very disappointing. I called them from the very beginning and they replied has been of total denial of the problem and trying to convince me that my TV is within specifications.

Batfinkk

Analogies aside - every manufacturer will have a percentage of faulty units, that the nature of manufacturing. Reading the 'Which?' report - Sony are still above average for reliability and basically the same as every other A brand manufacturer.

Some issues ssuch as things like dead pixels are far rarer these days than say 10 years ago, so manufacture and reliability is getting better rather than worse I think.

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Batfinkk wrote:

Analogies aside - every manufacturer will have a percentage of faulty units, that the nature of manufacturing. Reading the 'Which?' report - Sony are still above average for reliability and basically the same as every other A brand manufacturer.

Some issues ssuch as things like dead pixels are far rarer these days than say 10 years ago, so manufacture and reliability is getting better rather than worse I think.

I sincerely hope that what you say is true but experiences say otherwise. I have been a Sony die hard but my faith has been shaken not stirred. If you have a link to that report I would really appreciate if you post it or PM it to me. I would love to read it.

One of Sakamoto’s goals was to restore public faith in Sony. I guess that the new boss would not say something like that if people would still believe that Sony is one of the best.

naskhan36
Visitor

As somebody mentioned these are rare cases which proves my point the set should be changed, secondly the noise generated by power supply was there from the date of purchase but I have noticed it after two month, Sony centre tknew that there was a problem of this sort, Sony should  have recalled these units,this what I call rushed manufacturing, buy the way I did an electronic engineering degree, and this is not acceotable