Join now - be part of our community!

No 4:3 aspect setting on KDL-46EX500 in HDMI mode

profile.country.da_DK.title
martinbangsoe
Visitor

No 4:3 aspect setting on KDL-46EX500 in HDMI mode

On my brand new (manufactured 10/2010) 46 inch KDL-46EX500 ,when I  press the aspect ratio button on the remote or acces the setting via the  options menu I can only choose between ZOOM, WIDE and SMART. There is  no 4:3 setting available. I am watching tv via my IP-tv box connected to the tv via HDMI.

It says in the i-manual that such a setting should be present. I have tried updating the firmware to no effect.

Is there really no 4:3 setting on this tv?

Thanks,

Martin

Message was edited by: martinbangsoe

6 REPLIES 6
martinbangsoe
Visitor

bump

profile.country.de_DE.title
lemecanicien
Visitor

hello martin, hi forum,

same problem here with a brand new 32ex500

firmware update didn't solve the problem.

configuration: sagecom pvr with hdmi connection to tv-set, local german cable provider (kabel deutschland)

hdmi output of receiver set to hd (1080, same problem with 720p setting)

here's what i found out in detail:

when the input signal is high resolution (1080 or 720) then the aspect menu is reduced to "smart, wide, zoom" just the way you described.

receiving via the built-in cable tuner results in most cases in a low-res signal like 560p, then you can choose 4:3 aspect ratio.

receiving an old 4:3 movie via fta-hd channel (like ard-hd or arte-hd in germany) the cable provider himself adds black bars to the sides of the picture, so the visible ratio is ok.

when receiving the same movie over sd-channel the cable receiver also uses hi resolution and the picture appeares stretched.

the only way to get around this is: setting the receiver's hdmi output to low resolution, then the missing aspect-settings magically appear on the tv's menu.

@SONY: please check this out in the next firmware or drop us another solution which prevents us from viewing broad-headed actors and stretched limousines.

regards

stefan

martinbangsoe
Visitor

Thanks for replying Stefan.

I returned my 46EX500 a couple of weeks ago due to this 4:3 problem and a very poor DLNA implementation.

I bought a Samsung LE46C755 instead which doesn't have the 4:3 issue on HDMI and a fully functional DLNA implementation. There's also a 32 inch Samsung alternative to your Sony which would solve all your problems. If you can get a refund I would recommend returning it and get a Samsung instead. Much better customer support and cleverly thought out hardware.

Martin

profile.country.hr_HR.title
DamacizSi
Visitor

Martin, You have expl. in I manual, but I have attached it for You. See attachment.

Regards

Damac

martinbangsoe
Visitor

Are you kidding me?! I know it SAYS in the manual that you can do it, but this whole thread is about it NOT WORKING ON HDMI. Ahem :slight_smile:

Alas, I don't care anymore, I have a Samsung that does it all. Just keeping this thread alive to help others avoid the Sony tv's if they need this feature.

Martin

profile.country.it_IT.title
giparla58
Visitor

I had the same problem with the decoder of satellite.

I resolved set the decoder HD out on "Original" and not on 1080i

If you have on your decoder the same function, you could try