Join now - be part of our community!

How to reduce power consumption in standby to 0.2w

profile.country.en_GB.title
bodrake
Visitor

How to reduce power consumption in standby to 0.2w

My KDL32EX503U currently uses 5w in standby mode   which is way off the 0.2w advertised. I have checked auto start  and it is off. Are there any other settings that need adjusting to get nearer 0.2w ?

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Pcadjb
Visitor

Hello Bodrake,

This is one of 2 things, you are either measuring when the TV is in active stand by or the most likely issue is measurement method.

Some instruments measure V*I and automatically uses this measurement as the power consumption. The problem is in standby the Voltage and current are out of phase and therefore a power factor has to be applied.

There are meters available that do take the power factor into account.

Hope it helps.

bodrake
Visitor

Hi  Pcadjb,

i have taken more measurements and initially standby uses about 25w  and then it drops down to 5w but never goes any lower.

My method of measurement was just using a standard electricity consumption meter. I only noticed it was using so much when i unplugged the tv for decorating. I have another older sony 32 inch LCD tv , and when this is in standbythe consumption meter does not register any consumption(it only registers whole watts). I wonder if the new TV has some kind of fault. It would be interesting if somebody else could do a similar measurement on a EX503

cheers

jasyk34
Visitor

For the original poster. You might find the thread I started interesting. I am having a similar issue to you.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/745415#745415