Join now - be part of our community!

HDD does not mount after initialisation by Bravia

profile.country.mk_MK.title
testerq1
Visitor

HDD does not mount after initialisation by Bravia

I was able to register my Iomega 500 GB HDD with the TV (after initialisation) and I can make recordings. However, I want to use another HDD as recorder; when plugging the Iomega back into the USB of my PC, the disk does no longer show up on My Computer. How can I make the disk visible again on my PC?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
durian40
Visitor

so i plugged the 160Gb (not 250 as earlier stated, error)

the drive has come on to the desk top as 3 drives, 160 and then its divided in to two 107mb file systems

it contains nothing useable

0001.db

0001.enc

0001.sdt

so thanks sony, thats understandable i suppose, you cant have us users recording tv and sharing the content...

still a bummer that it writes in something native to sony

so as i said before, you need a linux live cd, disc manager and then u can wipe the drive, reformat it and have it back for windows.

Bravia55HX

Funny that,

if I used an inappropiate word it gets removed straight away!!!

durian40
Visitor

i was outraged by sonys work on this 'record to hdd/usb' bit of the advertising.

im as mad as hell with sony over this tiny issue.

I guess it has to do with copyright and internet sharing.

i put a 250 sata disc on a usb convertor in to a bravia and it told me that once i had registered this disc with the tv, NO OTHER COMPUTER WOULD READ IT.

i am going to plug the drive in  to my linux box tomorrow and see just what it is doing to the disc formatting.

no your pc wont see... thank sony for that.

if you did want to regain control over the iomega you are going to have to use a disc manager with something like a linux live disc and re format it. a pc windows box wont see it, so you cant even reformat it let alone see whats on it.

not only that, the drive has to be bigger than 32Gb... **** thats stupid, freeview tv is not going to take a Gb per hour, and even if it did, i could still make use of 8 or 16gig of content on a stick.

nice tv tho... i love my little smart bravia to bits. (mostly)

ill report back tomorrow when i plug mine in to linux and see if that can see whats on the disc since sony had thier way with it.

Message was edited by: durian40

Message was edited by: durian40

Message was edited by: -charlie-

Edited to remove swearing.

stewmcghie

This is a very poor implementation of USB recording. Why not accept 1,2,4,8Gb memory sticks ? And why make it a non PC disk format. If they want to prevent the media being illegally shared then why not encrypt the files so they only play back on the TV. If I want to use this feature I have to somehow attach a HDD to the TV which is mounted on the wall and then I will be buggered if I want to use th HDD for anything else !

profile.country.fi_FI.title
lakmus
Visitor

Oh, I did wish that the HDD would be working also with PC/Mac with those recordings.. Why Sony does not allow this? I know that you can buy DVB-sticks for Macs and PCs that can record non-crypted video straight to your harddrive, additionally you can buy external recording DVB-receivers which can also import the video to your PC..

ssteele
Visitor

Did this never get a solution, so the main response is to avoid Sony televisions in regards of PVR functionality where Sony will loose competition over opensource.... well that is good to know ...!!

Samsung here we go!.

Until Sony will release a solution to read the USB recordings on a Windows/linux Pc they will loose customers, i will do my best to make sure of that.