Join now - be part of our community!

EX723 3D unwatchable

profile.country.en_GB.title
DiddyMylo
Visitor

EX723 3D unwatchable

I've had a KDL-32EX723 for 10 days and the 3D is unwatchable due to excessive crosstalk

I specifically bought the tv for 3D gaming on PS3.  I have two pairs of TDG 250BR glasses, I've tried the following games:

Splinter Cell HD triology

Killzone 3

Resistance 3

Gran Turismo 5

Uncharted 3

Wipeout HD

Superstardust

I've tried tweaking every setting, viewing distance, position, angle, ambient lighting etc... in an attempt to minimise the crosstalk issues.

I've read there are some filters I can get that might help the problem, does anyone know where I can get them from?

Does anyone know if this can be fixed with a firmware update or should I return the TV?

When I tried the set in the store, the crosstalk was minimal.

I'm begining to think I might have a faulty set.

9 REPLIES 9
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Have you updated the firmware on the TV to the latest version? Would definitely recommend this if you haven't yet done it..

Definitely worth flagging with the store sooner rather than later, just in case it is faulty? If its a Sony Centre, maybe you could do a side by side test with the one in store to see if its faulty or not?

Thanks

DiddyMylo
Visitor

It was bought from JohnLewis.  When I viewed it in the store it was playing a 3D movie.

I'm running the latest firmware.

Where can I get the filters for the glasses? My local Sony store had no idea what I was talking about.

The more I read about problems with the EX723 series, then more I'm tempted to return it and upgrade to the HX series, or go back to my EX403. I upgrade specifically for 3D gaming on PS3.

ollie101
Visitor

Nope its the tv no firmware update or anything seems to rectify the problem. Some games are good I.E batman AC.....Also with movies the 3D is great. Apparently altering your screen size up by 40% makes the problem lessen. I was playing uncharted yesterday, and I have to admit cut scene sequences are horrendous....But if you mess around with the settings and put the adjustment to plus one it looks amazing! but the text suffers from heavy crosstalk . So you have to pay a price....

ollie101
Visitor

Oh yeah putting on all the bells and whistles like advanced contrast enhancer makes it better...and a lot of the games u tried work perfectly fine for me in 3D

DiddyMylo
Visitor

Would you be kind enough to share your settings and I'll try them tonight?  I don't really want to change the tv, but I can't believe this got through quality assurance and testing.

The best picture I've managed to achieve is by removing my perscription glasses so that all the problems become a blur... hardly HD quality.

DiddyMylo
Visitor

update: 3D movies are ok, but gaming is awful, so it's going back. upgrading to the HX723 series.

DiddyMylo
Visitor

I've received my filters for the 3D glasses... no real difference.

I've now replaced the EX723 with a HX723... WOW! what a difference.  After a little tweaking, the 3D is amazing. There is still some crosstalk but you have to look for it, otherwise you just don't notice it.

All I can say is there is something very wrong with the EX723 firmware... the 3D doesn't have to be as bad as it is. Sony R&D need to have a closer look at the EX723 series.. I suggest they hook it up to a Playstation and try Wipeout.  The 3D calculations for the negative parallax plane appear to be completly wrong, it looks like crosstalk, but having now put and EX and HX side by side, you can see it's not a crosstalk issue... something is wrong with the 3D.   I would post pictures except the EX has gone back to the store.

I'm sure the problems with the EX can be fixed with firmware.

UKgodfather
Visitor

I brought this exact same tv only on the 30/05/2012 and have to say I wish I seen this review before I bought the tv as I have exactly the same problem the 3d is horrendous especially on gaming, I also had some filters sent out but made zero difference now waiting on a call from Sony to see what they can do but I don't want a different tv but looks like I will have to take it back and avoid buying another one for awhile.

profile.country.fr_FR.title
3D_marche_pas
Visitor

Hello

I have the same POS tv. 3D is absolutely terrible. A disgrace infact. I live in France, and get a 2 yr warranty here so I am now fighting for a refund. Absolutely disgusting!! They have blantantly and knowingly shafted everyone who bought this model of tv.

I spoke to tech support sony france in may 2012, the tech told me it was normal and corresponded with the tv. I asked for this in writing which ofcourse he refused. Because then I would have written evidence of false advertising. He refused to send a technician also. Then after 5 mins of going back and forth, he deliberately provoked me, so he could have an excuse to get off the phone.

I then spoke to sony customer service, who put me back in touch with the tech dept, who told me that there is nothing that an be done, and to ask the shop to see with sony about compensation.

Anyway, the shop sent one of their techs who said that the 3D was faulty, the shop have taken my tv and invited someone from sony to go there and see it. Thursday 16/06/20O12 they called me and said that they had ordered the stupid filters for the glasses...lol

I refused the filters because I know all about them, and asked them if they thought I was stupid? which they obviously didnt like. I told them that I now want a refund, and will be passing this to "consumer rights" in France because the tv does not fulfill its functions. which under french law and UK law (I am from the uk) means that the product has to replaced or refunded..

They said that their head of customer servies will contact me on monday 19/06/2012... I will keep you informed.

@ Sony and your lying mods. How disgusting has your once great company and products become??? All your 3D tvs since 2010 have been a joke at best! It pleases me greatly to see that in your last financial year you lost 6 Bil dollars. I hope you go down in flames and samsung and LG laugh at you all the way down. You have knowingly shafted thousands and thousands of consumers worldwide, and then pretended that nothing was wrong..

you are a disgrace!!