Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia DLNA Streaming from iomega nas

profile.country.en_IE.title
caseyphl
Visitor

Bravia DLNA Streaming from iomega nas

Hi,

hope someone can help me out.

I've got my Bravia 46HX823, wireless connect to my iomega NAS which I use to stream photo's and videos.

but its hit and miss when it works. I'm assuming the issue is with the TV as when I search for content it will connect to the NAS and show the the folders but when I go into the folder it doesn't show any files. at the very same time If i perform the same search with my PS3 the content is their.

as mentioned the problem is hit and miss. If it doesn't find it first time around I swtich off the TV and or the network connection on the TV settings and then I reconnect the TV to the network and it usually picks it up.

It almost like the TV does not rescan the NAS each time it connects.

What I've checked sofare.

checked firmware on TV (has the latest)

checked Firmware on iomega nas (has the latest)

never any issues when I connect to NAS from another source (wireless) from laptop or PS3

PS3 always shows the folder and file (which is why I'm thinking its the TV)

Gone through the NAS settings enabling DLNA for each of the folders.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated, FYI - my PS3 is on the way out. I only purchased the TV a few months back with the intention it would replace my PS3.

tks Phil

18 REPLIES 18
caseyphl
Visitor

Hi Bravia55HX923

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at  Serviio Media server , but I don't think this will help me as I don't have the option to install any programs on my NAS and I don't have a spare machine I can leave running / connected to my NAS.

Appreciate your advise on the PS3, I may have to look into repairing it. just annoyed that I upgraded my TV to use its features to replace PS3, and when it decides to work its great  but just not reliable and for the money I spend on the Sony Brand I'd have expected the software / product to word as described (I don't use PS3 for gaming).

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

I did not recommend any streaming server because I assumed that you did not want to invest more money on a different machine and installing software was not an option in your NAS.

If your retailer is into administration then let’s pray to “Saint Transistorin” for a swift resolution. Did you try calling Sony Support or writing through their support form? It might well be that the TV is faulty and they might be able to repair it. Your TV is under warranty. It is worth a try. My experience with them is absolutely appalling but yours might be better.

caseyphl
Visitor

Hi sony_cust11

Yes like you said I don't want to invest money on a new Server or software when the root cause of the problem is the TV, Ideally I'd like the root cause to be fixed at which point if I need to invest in other hardware I would, but at present It would seem stupid to spend money to try work around broken software. I'd inevitably end up in the same boat.

I was trying to avoid Sony Customer Service as every time I've called I got put through to a help desk in India who have very little product knowledge, I end up spending time 20 mins verifying the firmware is the latest (after I've all ready told them it was) turning on and off the TV.

I had hoped that some genuine Sony staff maintained this forum who could direct problems onto technical people in Sony. but obviously that's not the case.

I will give sony cust care a call later night when I get home from work.

tks again

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

This is what their website says:

For post sale product support, you can call us on :

0844 8466 555      Our call centres are open :

Mon-Fri, 09hrs-17hrs (local time)

4p per minute from a standard BT line, charges from other networks may vary.

caseyphl
Visitor

Hi folks,

Sorry to bring this topic back up, but I finally finished speaking to sony customer care.

and I am blowing away with their lack of knowledge and care in getting the problem resolved.

To cut a long story short. Here are the latest developments.

They suggested that my problem is related to the distance of my router to the TV, which I don't agree with. It no more than 10 feet and I don't have many devices connect to the router (TV, Laptop sometimes, DNLA Server, and PS3 when using it, and iphone).

They asked me to switch the network from wireless to wired (Ethernet) just to see if their was any difference and once I plugged the eithernet cable in and set up the network it worked perfectly.

I've got it wired for a couple of days now and its working 100% perfectly.

I believe the issues is a software issue with the DNLA as it works sometimes (Less frequently lately).

I don't believe Sony Cust Care have a clue what is going on, but they did advise that their are no firmware upgrades planned and no problems reports with DLNA , (I.E. if their is a new firmware no promise it will fix this issue).

I can't leave the cable connected to the TV as the router is in another room and don't plan to start running cables along the wall. This was the reason why I went for Wireless. I would have saved my self hundreds if i went for non wireless TV.

I'm at the stage where I just want to give the TV back if It can't what it advised it can do.

To another twist to it the sony centre I purchased the TV from has gone into administration.

Surely such a big Sony like Sony can't just leave people high and dry ....

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

If your TV is no more than 10 feet away the distance should not be a problem. That is less than the max distance for Bluetooth. There is a simple way to prove if the distance is to blame.

You said that when using the cable it worked 100% perfectly. Do you mean the network or the DLNA client of the TV? If the DLNA works well with the cable then it will be safe to assume that the client has no problem. The problem might be in the wireless adapter of the TV.

The simple way to prove that the distance is not the problem is based by assuming that your router is connected to a modem of some sort. I imagined that you got a long Ethernet cable and connected the TV to the router. So my suggestion is that you get the router very close to the TV and connect the router to the modem with the long Ethernet cable. Set the wireless on the TV and try it. If the problems persist then the distance is not to blame. It will also prove that there might be some problem with the wireless adapter of the TV and you might ask Sony to repair the wireless adapter since the TV is under warranty.

Another solution could be using power line Ethernet adapters. Check this link for a picture http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tp-link-tl-pa211kit-200mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adapter-kit-twin-pa.... This will mean investing more money but that could solve your problem.

I hope this will help.

caseyphl
Visitor

Hi Thanks for a quick response.

I agree with you that the distance of the router is not the problem (even though this is what Sony insist is the issue, both First and second level customer support)

I should clarify that when I plugged in the Ethernet cable, the DLNA function of the TV works perfectly. all files are visible in the folders and everything plays perfectly. Like you said I think this rules out the router and DLNA Server as a source of the problem.

For some reason I had though that maybe the issue was related to the DLNA Software on the TV , I hadn't considered the wireless adapter of the TV, Is their anything I can do to test the adapter ?

I'm expecting a call from them tomorrow so I'll arrange for one of their Guys to come out and check the TV.

I appreciate the link for the Ethernet adapters and I may have to look at this as option, however I'm just frustrated that the TV doesn't work as advertised. I could have saved hundreds if I went for a cheaper TV without all the wireless features (Wish I had off now).

Do you have any advise / knowledge in Sony Centre (Ireland) going into liquidation, Has Sony committed to honour warranty / returns. I'm at a point, If the shop was still open i would be returning the TV,

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Sony will honour the warranty as long as the TV was registered and you have the paperwork. If you bought it from a Sony Centre with five year warranty Sony will honour that as well. It is important that you keep the paperwork. I am sorry but I have no knowledge of any Sony Centre in Eire :smileywink:.

How do you get your internet? How is your router connected to your internet provider device? The best way to test the wireless adapter is what I suggested before; get the router on top of the TV so that you can assert that the distance is not a problem. I am assuming that the adapter is integrated and you will have no access to it whatsoever. You could also borrow a friend’s router and try it. That will prove your case even further.

I do not know if Eire is the same as England, but you can check if the Credit Card is also liable to solve the problem. You might be able to get your money back and return the TV. The HX823 is a good TV. It might be just a faulty wireless adapter. If you push hard enough Sony, the administrator or the Credit Card will solve the problem.

Cheers.

caseyphl
Visitor

I wont get the test your suggestion till tomorrow, but i'll post tomorrow and let you know.

I have all paperwork and the TV is registered with Sony.

My set up is as follows, I've got a wired solution through the phone. to ISP Model / router.

Yes the adapter is integrated, a friend is given me an older modem / router that they no longer use so i'll test that over the weekend.

Luckily I purchased the TV with CC so may look into this as an option if Sony deliver.

thanks again, I'll keep you posted.