Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia DLNA Streaming from iomega nas

profile.country.en_IE.title
caseyphl
Visitor

Bravia DLNA Streaming from iomega nas

Hi,

hope someone can help me out.

I've got my Bravia 46HX823, wireless connect to my iomega NAS which I use to stream photo's and videos.

but its hit and miss when it works. I'm assuming the issue is with the TV as when I search for content it will connect to the NAS and show the the folders but when I go into the folder it doesn't show any files. at the very same time If i perform the same search with my PS3 the content is their.

as mentioned the problem is hit and miss. If it doesn't find it first time around I swtich off the TV and or the network connection on the TV settings and then I reconnect the TV to the network and it usually picks it up.

It almost like the TV does not rescan the NAS each time it connects.

What I've checked sofare.

checked firmware on TV (has the latest)

checked Firmware on iomega nas (has the latest)

never any issues when I connect to NAS from another source (wireless) from laptop or PS3

PS3 always shows the folder and file (which is why I'm thinking its the TV)

Gone through the NAS settings enabling DLNA for each of the folders.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated, FYI - my PS3 is on the way out. I only purchased the TV a few months back with the intention it would replace my PS3.

tks Phil

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

It seems that you have done everything that can be done. The only real solution would be some firmware update from Sony. However the fact that they are DNLA devices it does not mean that they will work because it will depend on which formats the server, iomega, can stream and which formats the client, TV, can understand. Check if the iomega has an option to transcode formats. Some servers are able to transcode formats that the client cannot understand.

Have you been able to see the files with your TV ever? Or are you able just to see the device with your TV? It might be that you are sharing the folders; I do not think that these TV’s are able to access shared folders. Usually they are able to browse the DNLA server but not shared folders as you would with a laptop. Good luck anyway.

caseyphl
Visitor

Hi Thanks for the response.

Yes the TV will play the files, but as mentioned it hit and miss when it will see the files in the folder. If it show's the file it will play it. but it just a case of weather the TV will display the contents of the folder.

The server supports all formats and, I've mainly got .avi (xvid) files on the server as these are supported by the Sony Bravia TV. The server doesn't have an option to transcode.

do you know if Sony has any plans for a firmware update which will improve its DNLA capabilities.

tks Phil.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

It seems that indeed you have a problem with your client on your TV. The only solution will be to wait for a firmware update. I have no idea when Sony will release the next upgrade. If anything I am a seriously angry Sony Customer. I bought a 65HX923 and the panel is faulty however the DLNA works fine. Sorry of not being of much help.

The one other thing that you may try; it is to refresh your TV network and a test the internet connection before you access the NAS. It might be that the TV drops its connection but it keeps on memory the device that you used. That would explain why you see the device but not the folders.

caseyphl
Visitor

Have to say I'm really disappointed with Sony, I decided to go with Sony as I though their software and support would be first class, Hell they charge enough, least it should do is work as designed. Should have went with Philips... I've learned my lesson.

I did think it might be the TV Network. and I did look into resetting it, however Sony don't make it easy to refresh the network. I requires me to go into the Set up and deleted the connection and then set up it again. which is just to time consuming. I will give it a try tomorrow and see if that make any difference.

As mentioned I've being getting away using my PS3 but thats on the way out which is why I spend the extra on a WIFI / DNLA TV ... should have got got a cheaper model and purchased a new PS3 or should have got a philips. Last Philips TV did exactly what it said it would without any issues.

Appreciate your help, i'll try resetting the network tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

I do not mean to delete network setting and do them again the way to refresh would be

Home – Settings – network – Network setup – View Network Status – Check Connection.

When you view network status you should see the network details and when you check connection then it will test that you have access to the network.

caseyphl
Visitor

the results were Found and OK , OK everything seems good but it didn't make any difference.

It could still see the folder but not the file within the folder.

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Sorry, it looks that you are at the mercy of Sony, let’s hope that they release a firmware update soon or some of the Sony staff comes in and solves your problem. It might well be that the TV is faulty. How long ago did you buy it? You can ask for a replacement to your retailer. I would not expect a lot from Sony. You feel disappointed imagine how I feel after paying 4500 pounds for a faulty screen TV, the Sony Centre went into administration and Sony has done nothing to help me.

caseyphl
Visitor

I purchased the TV at the end of Nov, and like you the Sony Centre retail shop is no longer open so I think I'm screwed.

It would be nice to hear from someone from Sony (This is a Sony forum).

I assume the DLNA has set of rules that govern how the DLNA works on the TV, or any difference in DLNA software between TV and PS3. If I could understand this I might be able to get a work around for my problem.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi caseyphl,

im surprised no one's mentioned Serviio Media server to you yet, this is Sony's answer to problematic media files!,

it is possible that your PS3 is starting to suffer from hard drive failure and if that is the case you can replace it yourself, its easy enough its just a laptop drive.