Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN860 Receiver dead after 2 days?

TurnitdownUK
Explorer

STR-DN860 Receiver dead after 2 days?

Hey,

I've just got a Sony STR-DN860. I have used it for 2 days and just now a couple of hours ago the receiver turned itself off whilst I was listening to music and now it won't turn back on. The green power indicator light is on but the device isn't responding at all, the display isn't on and it's not outputting anything to the HDMI. Pressing the power button also doesn't turn the device "off" either.

I have tried unplugging it, plugging it back in, holding the power button down, unplugging all HDMI connections and speakers etc. nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem and how I could fix it? I bought it from Germany so it'd be such a pain to have to ship it back over there!

Many thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If there is nothing on the diplay, you probably do need to contact the retailer for an exchange.  Try the following below anyhow.

• Unplug the AV reciever from the wall for 30 mins.  
  • Whilst waiting unplug everything else including the speakers.  
  • Make sure your speaker wires are twisted together, no stray wires on each Positive + negative
  • Connect one speaker up on the front channel and test on a radio station, slowly turn volume up - not blaring though. Leave running for 30 mins if it works.  If it doesnt work, your going to have to contact your retailer for an exchange.
  • If it works, connect each speaker to the system individually and run for 30 mins - this is to ensure if a single speaker is shortening it out.
  • If works after that, connect hdmi and other devices etc.

Also ensure that the speaker match the impedence rating for the av reciever.

Cheers

TurnitdownUK
Explorer

Thanks for your reply. I will try that this afternoon.

If it doesn't work is it possible to get an exchange through Sony themselves as opposed to the retailer or is this out of the question?

Thanks,

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I don't think SONY would change it, you could try but don't expect miracles.

By any chance did you buy it from a well known store in Germany that also has outlets here in the UK? If so maybe you could return it to somewhere more local and see if they would assist you?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14