Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDPS-7200 vs BDPS-6500

tony711
Explorer

Sony BDPS-7200 vs BDPS-6500

Hi, 

I'm trying decide between these 2 Blu-Ray players.  As far as I can tell, other than build quality, they are identical except the 7200 also plays high resolution audio files.  The 6500 has been confirmed to play SACDs too which was meant to be exclusive to the 7200.  

Would the 7200 give me better audio while playing Blu-Rays?  If not, I'm thinking of going for the 6500, as I've been hearing of issues with the 7200 freezing and apps not working.  The 6500 is also a lot cheaper.

Any help would be great with this, thanks :slight_smile:

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unless you neec the high-res audio file playback, there is no difference between bluray audio between the two.

The BDP-S7200 is a 2014 model, where as the BDP-S6500 is a 2015 model.

Best thing to do is read the reviews and weigh up the options for both.

Cheers

tony711
Explorer

Hi, thanks for your reply.  I thought they were almost identical, and as I have no need for the hi res audo file playback ability, the 6500 will be fine.  Got one of each in Amazon UK's Black Friday deals but I couldn't cancel the 7200 in time so I have both on the way, I'll send back the 7200 then.

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw that lightning deal too on Amazon - really good deal it was too.  

Have fun :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Thanks for rubbing it in about the Black Friday deals! I paid top price for mine a year ago paying around £220, annoyingly Richer Sounds where I originally purchased it are now doing it for £149 :slight_frown:

@tony711

Just so you're aware the issues reported with the BDP-S7200 are relating to the Amazon Instant/Prime Video app. This also effects some other models also but I don't know which ones exactly. I believe Sony are working with Amazon currently to find a solution.

As far as similarities between the 7200 & 6500 these are very few, in fact the 6500 is a mini unit measuring just 10 inches (25.5 cm) width, whereas the 7200 is a ful width device measuring 16.9 inches (43 cm) width. The 6500 also only has one USB input on the front, the 7200 has one on the front and back.

However it's what's inside that really counts and specifications wise they are quite similar. At least having bought both you can compare them and decide once they arrive.

If you need any advice at all please come back to the forum, I have the 7200 model myself, it's a lovely looking device and movie playback rocks as does High Res Audio if you do try it. You'll need it connected to an AV Amplifier to benefit from this though. :wink:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14