Join now - be part of our community!

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

Friday 23rd May approx 19:00 attempted to turn on DVD recorder RDR-HXD995. Seemed reluctant to power on from remote (and when pressing power on on unit itself) as in UPDATE mode. Finally after switching power off at the wall a few times, managed to get it to respond. However when a channel is selected, it displays for a short while and then the screen goes blank. Also, a programme which was set to record, has not recorded.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem - is this July all over again or is it just me?

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

181 REPLIES 181
ricross50

Complete sequence that worked for me was:-

- Turn off at mains for 30 mins

- System Menu->Initial Setup->Digital Tuner->Replace channels

same problem still so then

- System Menu->Initial Setup->Basic->Easy Setup and let it go until it has started finding channels before pressing Exit to cancel.

Note that when it first started happening before searching the web I did try doing a manual system update but after the progress bar got about half way the screen went blank and it seemed locked in update - had to hold on/off button to power off.

profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

Just tried a hard reset on the recorder, power off for 2 to 3 min, then Easy Setup but with no effect.

Once the setup is complete, BBC1 shows a black screen and no sound. Using the programme up/down button to move to BBC2 did show a picture but only for a short time before the picture went black and no sound again.

Similarly moving to other channels has the same effect or the picture just freezes.

No improvements here unfortunately.

Did, however, manage to 'go to France' a bit earlier and record something this evening by manually putting in the timer details.

(Even when 'in France' though, the next time the recorder was switched on, BBC1 still showed black screen and no sound until the program up button was selected to BBC2. After that, moving back to BBC1 worked OK)

EDIT: In addition to the above (for anyone who is still up and hasn't given up the will to live yet!), I made one last ditch attempt by following one of the suggestions above and then trying to 'Replace Digital Channels' but cancelling during the update by using the 'System Menu' button (it mentions 'Home' button on screen). This did allow the channels to return whilst still being 'in the UK'!

Digital EPG content is now there but colour scheme is mangled. Have set a recording for later this evening. With any luck this will sort itself out with the next EPG update at 0300 (fingers crossed!).

Melrose16
Explorer

Tried all the suggested fixes with no luck.
Come on Sony, sort yourselves out, this is the second time this has happened in the last week or so.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Just in the way of an update

Information received a while ago stated that the issue was fixed and to try the following:

• Disconnect the RDR Recorder from the main power supply and reconnect it after 30 seconds.
  • Perform a full retune of the RDR Recoder
  • Ensure that your EPG is set to "Digital EPG" and not "Guide +"

At this stage, 2 of you have confirmed that it is fixed (with some colour changes to EPG), but unfortunately many of you are reporting that this is not the case, and the problem remains. 

I have fed this all back to Sony.  They are aware of the issue and is investigating with urgency to resolving the problem.  It is now unlikely it will be resolved tonight.  Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Thank you for everyones continued patience.

Boudicca58
Explorer

I have unplugged my machine for 30 minutes, redone the Easy Setup but no luck.

I get a picture for a couple of seconds and then it goes black.

I could try the 'In France' fix but I believe this doesn't allow you to record.

Why always Friday when I have the soap omnibuses set to record?  Sigh.

profile.country.GB.title
No_Pic

If you need to record something urgently then the France fix did work for me earlier this evening when I wanted to record something.

You have to manually enter the details though to the timer (start time, stop time, channel no. etc.)

paftrain
New

Good morning everybody. Just checked my HXD870 and it's stuck in "update" mode - even after unplugging and plugging in again. Hopeless!

Sent from my iPad
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning Paftrain.

Try doing the following for the "Stuck Update":

Press and hold the On/Off button until the RDR recorder turns off, then quickly press the button again briefly, before the unit tries to go back into update mode.

If that doesnt work, pull the plug from the power point and replace back after about 30 seconds.

Cheers

keithrazzell
Explorer

Yep, I'm just the same. Having got out of Update, EPG still useless and channels dropping. Obviously no progress yet.

profile.country.GB.title
MarmiteCyclist
Explorer

Good morning. Issue not fixed for me either.

Found my RDR-HX870 in Update mode first thing.

Left it for about an hour, no change, so unplugged it for about an hour.

When plugged back in it immediately went into Update again but stopped when the power button was held for a few seconds.

Tried a full "Initial setup" to no avail - still no picture on any channel (last night I sometimes got a picture for a few seconds when switching to a different channel). The EPG is empty, starts populating quickly (far more quickly than it normally does) but after a few seconds the screen goes blank.

I left it switched on and in the time it's taken me to type this it's gone back into Update.