Join now - be part of our community!

HT-RT5 Useless after firmware update

profile.country.GB.title
Gimbal5401
New

HT-RT5 Useless after firmware update

This evening, when i turned on my soundbar I was greeted with a message to update my firmware.
I donwloaded the update and clicked 'ok' to install.

It sat at 0% for a while and then update failed.

Tried this a few times with the same results.

Clicked to cancel and nothing worked.

Did a reset (power and '-') and all i can get now is sound from the tv input.

nothing from HDMI1, 2 or 3 and most of the buttons on the remote have stopped working so i cant get to the setup menu to try the update again.
I have no access to anything but volume (on either the unit or the remote) and no idea what to try next.
Can anyone help?

Is there a way to hard reset the unit (apart from the way i tried)?
Massively unhappy that Sony have effectively bricked my soundbar.
Any help will be greatfully received. thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gimbal, 

I take it you mean the HT-RT5?

In case there is another way to hard reset the unit it should be in the manual which you can find here.

If that doesn't help it's best to get in contact with support via this form.

Best, 

Arthur

profile.country.GB.title
Gimbal5401
New

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I mistyped the model. it is the HT-RT5.

I had looked through the manual and couldnt find a reset method (but will have another look).

I filled in the support form before i posted here, but as yet am still to hear back from them.

Many thanks

Gimbal

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome, Gimbal. 

I hope you'll get this resolved soon. 

Best, 

Arthur

profile.country.GB.title
Gimbal5401
New

Just to add further info to the story.....

I heard back from Sony who responded with some stock answers that only went to show they hadnt read the message i sent them properly.

As i couldnt get to the home menu (as I had stated) all of the options presented were moot.

A few emails later and i was advised to take it to a repair centre where i would be charged as the unit is 18 months old.

I felt that this was a little unfair as the unit was working fine until their update bricked it.

Luckily, I had purchased it from John Lewis who offer a standard 2 year guarantee so they are going to get Sony to fix it for free.