Join now - be part of our community!

audio problems

profile.country.GB.title
spence
Explorer

audio problems

hi

i recently had a new download 360 installed on my virgin box, and since have been having messages every 10 minutes saying TV speakers active due to audio system communication failure, this is then followed by another message saying audio system active followed by no sound for around 10 seconds !!

my TV is a sony KDL 49WD 756 

and a sony soundbase HT-XT1 

i had no problems on previous V6 box 

hope you can help

spence

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@spence 

So the TV was unchanged throughout, but the Virgin box went through a change.

What did Virgin say?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@spence 

So the TV was unchanged throughout, but the Virgin box went through a change.

What did Virgin say?

profile.country.en_GB.title
EUSupport_EN
Contributor

Hello @spence,

We've noticed your post and we would like to help! 
Have you tried to connect 1 device at a time and test it for a period of time and see if it'll come up with this message or not? Just to eliminate where the fault is coming from exactly. 
Have you tested other cables as well?  

Sony community team. 

profile.country.GB.title
spence
Explorer

hi 

and thanks for the replies,

virgin engineer had no answer to my problem, i explained prior to 360 being downloaded i had no problems with tivo box and sounds. however my son in law swopped a few cables and at the third attempt sorted problem 

he took the  optical audio output cable from the TV  fed it from the tivo box this stopped messages appearing on screen, but tivo remote can not now control volume, my volume now is controlled by the soundbase remote control (HT-XT1) 

hope this explains matters more

spence

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@spence 

he took the  optical audio output cable from the TV  fed it from the tivo box”

makes no sense. You can’t feed an Optical output from an input.

Presumably before the change, you had the TiVo box plugged into an HDMI input on the TV, and you had the soundbar plugged into the (e)ARC HDMI input of the TV?

(This is a case where you can feed an output from an input, as the cable contains the Audio Return Channel link, which puts the TV audio out over the HDMI ARC connection in the opposite direction to the HDMI video in on that input).

So this was all fine before the Virgin update, but after that, the ARC link would work for about ten minutes, then it would stop and go back to putting the sound out just from the TV, and then it would start putting the sound out over ARC again, which involved the ten seconds audio silence while the ARC link was re-established?

And (maybe) you mean your son ‘fixed’ this by leaving the TiVo connected as before, but connecting the TV to the soundbar over Optical? Which would indeed stop the TiVo remote from controlling the volume.

So it looks like the TiVo is working OK, but the TV has become deranged regarding ARC, possibly by something to do with the TiVo update, possibly just by coincidence.

Put things back how they were, Factory Reset the TV, re-establish any settings you had before that the Reset has removed, and see if that fixes the problem with the ARC only lasting ten minutes or not.

As if the TiVo was causing this, it would be causing a similar issue over Optical, losing the audio every ten minutes, but it isn’t doing that.

profile.country.GB.title
spence
Explorer

sorry roy,

my connections are as follows the optical cable is connected to TV  from the soundbase, and an HDMI cable is connected from TV to tivo, this is giving me no problems with messages, when i have time i will connect cables and do a factory TV reset as you advise

thanks again for your reply