Join now - be part of our community!

RX10m4 WiFi Issue

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Deepgreen2010

RX10m4 WiFi Issue

Hello - 

I am trying to set up my RX10m4 to operate correctly with WiFi but I am unable to transfer photos wirelessly to my PC (MacBookPro - MBP) because I get a message on the camera screen telling me that my laptop is not set up as the recipient of the shots.  I can find no way on the camera to set the MBP as the destination.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  The camera's software is up-to-date.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Deepgreen2010

I know.  My previous m4's card slot failed (a spring detached and Sony charged me a ludicrous amount for a simple repair), so I'm trying to avoid using it if there's an alternative.  I think I prefer plugging in a cable if it saves wear on the card slot.  Of course, if the wifi worked as it should...

Thanks again - I think you've pretty much answered my original question.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Deepgreen2010,

Have you installed PlayMemories Home on your Mac?

To import pictures from the camera please use "Wireless Auto Import" in PlayMemories Home.

See also: https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1530/v1/en/contents/TP0001087161.html

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Unfortunately that link is for the DSC-RX100M4, not the RX10M4.

Here is the correct link Betreff......... 

Good luck getting it to work, I never have😡🙄

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi cheddarman,

Oh - sorry for the wrong link 😕

Anyway, to transfer images to your computer PlayMemories Home needs to be installed:

https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1720/v1/en/contents/TP0001584447.html

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
Deepgreen2010

Many thanks.  Yes, I had installed PMH, although it looked 'dodgy' because the cessation of the permitted downloading period had been extended for an indeterminate time (why, I wondered, when it was last updated in 2017?).  Then, however, I got a message saying that PMH needed updating - and there is no way to update any further as I had installed the only version available.  My suspicion is that PMH has just been allowed to die quietly by Sony.  My MBP also told me that it was an unsafe download.

I still can find no way of assigning my laptop to my camera as the destination for any transfers, even if I could make them happen.  I'll try the whole process again - I'm only really trying this so I won't have to keep taking the memory card out of the camera, as I had issues with my previous m4 with the slot/reader, which failed.

Thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
Deepgreen2010

I've been back to Play Memories Home, and it transpires from the messages there that because I have an up-to-date version of Mac software, PMH will no longer work!  So, because I have been diligent with my Apple software, Sony won't support me anymore and some of the much-touted wifi functions of my camera are now redundant!  Not impressed.

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Ah you have gone up to Catalina! Lots of things don't work with that is I'm staying with Mojave! 😎 However, having said that I still can't get this PMH to work. I've connected the camera t my WiFi network (I think) but PMH doesn't seem to recognise it, just asks to be connected via USB cable.

profile.country.GB.title
Deepgreen2010

NOW you tell me!!  Seriously, though, thanks for the confirmation.  I have my camera on my wifi network and everything else seems OK, but PMH doesn't work.  I suspect it's been allowed to lag behind so far that it's full of flaws now, making it unstable.  Do you see any prospect of Sony catching up with Catalina?

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Do you see any prospect of Sony catching up with Catalina?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

I've just spent another ½ hour trying to connect my RX10 to my MBP (running 10.14.6 Mojave which Sony say is compatible) via WiFi and it just won't!

To date I've always removed the SD card from camera and plugged it into the computer so looks like I'll continue to do that as faffing around with USB cables is a pain!

profile.country.GB.title
Deepgreen2010

I know.  My previous m4's card slot failed (a spring detached and Sony charged me a ludicrous amount for a simple repair), so I'm trying to avoid using it if there's an alternative.  I think I prefer plugging in a cable if it saves wear on the card slot.  Of course, if the wifi worked as it should...

Thanks again - I think you've pretty much answered my original question.